Honda Element Owners Club banner

Load Limit

24K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  sheetssterlingsr 
#1 ·
Just discovered in another thread that Honda indicates a total 675 pound load limit on the Element! Has anyone found this to be an issue, and with a full load have you noticed any sagging with the suspension?

I'm not sure how much this 675 pound limit concerns me. Usually myself and some cargo in the vehicle. But four 180 pound adults is 720 pounds! Three adults would leave me only 135 pounds of cargo room, which I can exceed with only one of my telescopes!

Arrgghh.

#3 ·
There have been numerous posts here that say the manual states a 675 pound load (passengers, cargo, etc), including tongue weight of any trailer. I don't think there's an SUV out there that would support 2 tons of passenger cargo! I'm not sure to what you are referring, but I doubt it's the same thing I'm asking about!

#16 ·
I own a 2006 honda element they can deffinatlyhold 2 to sits actually 500 pounds more than two tons...it's also on the registration and title and insurance that your element is a utility vehicle....they also transform into a big full size bed if you take all head rests off and lay all seat flat and level...they are popular for being renovated into a mini rv home like a tiny (tiny home)...lol

#5 ·
I talked with a dealer here in Indiana and he didn't even know what I was talking about. I haven't bought my Element yet, because I was concerned about the passenger weight limit. My husband is 315, I'm 250 and the other person who is always with us is 180. At this, we are already over the limit, without anything else in the car.

The dealer couldn't find anything in the book concerning it, but there is a sticker inside the driver's door which list the Maximum Passenger Capacity as 675 lbs.

Has anybody exceed the weight of 675 for a sustained period, any problems? I really like this car, but I am a little worried

#6 ·
I talked with a dealer here in Indiana and he didn't even know what I was talking about. I haven't bought my Element yet, because I was concerned about the passenger weight limit. My husband is 315, I'm 250 and the other person who is always with us is 180. At this, we are already over the limit, without anything else in the car.

I would take a longer than normal test drive with it both just the driver, then with the full normal load. It is rated at 650 lbs for full carry weight, not to be confused with towing weight. I have "felt" the strain when carrying 3 very large people. Honda does not specify the consequences of continous overloads, but my guesses would be the:

transmission
the floor sagging
lowered fuel ecomony

but I'm just guessing ---

#7 ·
Maximum weight of trailer with load should not exceed 1500lbs. and the tongue weight should not be more that 10% or 150lbs which you must subtract from the 675 weight limit. This is the manufacturers stated limits which are always very conservative. However, the E was not designed for towing heavy loads anyway, so why worry. I tow a 200lb. motorcycle trailer with a 600lb motorcyle for a total of 800lbs. and if the tow is set up right, the tongue weight should be 80lbs. This gives me 595 lbs for me, the wife and whatever else we need and that's plenty. :wink:

#8 ·
I just drove with four adults through city streets, combined weight probably around 800lbs. I could feel the strain on both breaking and accelaration. This won't be typical driving circumstances for me, but if it was the Element would be a poor choice in vehicle.

#9 ·
I just talk to honda canada re cargo weight. They stand by the 675. But the GVW minus the curb weight equals 857. But I don't know if this includes fuel. Does GVW include fuel, how about curb weight?

I am not too worried.

#10 ·
I just recently put 6 adults in the car. Which exceeded 1300 pounds including cargo. I noticed significance in breaking, but rhe biggest part was forced acceleration. Going up a hill was terrible. It was a 60mph road and I started up a hill. I was flooring it and only going around 30 until the top of what seems like the very high hill. Seemed to have some.problems and I wouldn't suggest it.
BTW. I have a 2005 manual honda element and.sorry for the very late reply ?

#11 ·
I knew the towing max wasn't all that great (1500?...wasn't expecting much w an I4), but a 675 lb load limit (after subtracting the vehicles weight)? I find that shocking, especially since I plan on hauling a bunch of camping gear. SMH Guess I really need to drop those nagging 15 lbs now. ;-)

#12 ·
Lol - a fifteen year resurrection. Lazarus was a special case because EVERYONE was raising bodies 24-48 hours out back in those days. Pulling the guy out a week later and reanimating him was Jesus level stuff.

Fifteen years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.