Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I snagged a used Yakima Load Warrior off my local craigslist. I got a deal I couldnt pass up and bought it before I got a base rack :rolleyes: So besides I now have to get landing pads, control towers and bars the 2 bike racks on the Load Warrior have SKS locks on them. The owner said he lost the keys and I bought it anyway. I went on Yakimas site and they said I could have a locksmith pick the locks, then pull the cores out and get new ones. Well I called a locksmith and they said $75 per lock! Um theres 4 locks on the bike holder. Can I just drill out the old locks? The bike holders are locked down. Can't be used to hold a bike right now. :-( They look like older Raptors.

·
Registered
599 Posts
You absolutely could drill out the old cores. My advice, having drilled out a good number of lock cylinders in my days, is get the new cores first so you can see the way the pins and/or wafers are laid out before you start drilling so you don't drill either too deep or too large and damage the cylinder walls.

Invest in a good set of pilot point drill bits and a can of wd-40 or drill lubricant as well. If you've got a friend with a drill press or big old bench vice that will make things easier too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. So I can't just pull out my craftsman drill and drill a hole into the lock cylinder?

Also, just found a pair of 48" crossbars on craigslist for $30. Now if I could only find some Control towers and landing pad #9s for cheap.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thanks. So I can't just pull out my craftsman drill and drill a hole into the lock cylinder?
I'm certainly not going to stop you :rolleyes: and chances are you'd be just fine. Drilling right into the middle of the cylinder usually isn't enough, you need to drill through the pins/wafers that lock the core to the cylinder and they're usually to one side of the keyway.

http://howtopicklocks.blogspot.com/

There's a post about 2/3 down the page dated 12/31/01 which shows a picture of a lock cylinder and where to drill. Use that as a guide.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Please don't drill!

You need one of this Yakima control key to remove lock core. On the back of lock core will have number on it, which will allow you to get the right key from Yakima directly.

Another better idea if you have REI nearby. Just take every pieces of Yakima stuff with lock core need to be removed to REI. 1st ask them to borrow control key to remove all of lock cores, then look at the back of the lock core, & ask them to give you one free key will match lock core. I don't know they have this service in every REI or not, but I just did it couple months ago here in San Jose REI.

They will NOT give you or sell you control key along, but they will let you borrow control key to remove lock core onsite, & give you one free locking key will match your lock core, & you don't have to buy your Yakima from them. :)
If they ask where you get your Yakima, just tell them this is a gift. :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts