Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there - long time listener first time caller - I have an '03 with 2 issues and I am trying to figure out if they are linked. I saw a post a while ago that fuse #9 is for radio + lock mechanism so I am wondering if it's a fuse issue or just coincidentally radio and lock problems.

1. factory radio: audio works but buttons generally don't work (only if I press really hard 1000 times), screen gets frozen in either off position or on with random things lit up, knobs fully work. my workaround for several months has been to just leave the radio on and use bluetooth aux.

2. lock: remote button lights up but does not do anything when pressed, car can be locked/unlocked manually using key but if I press the button on the driver-side door it only works for the non-driver-side locks. Manual lock/unlock was a fine workaround until recently my key started getting stuck in the lock.

Any tips helpful! Thanks.

·
Registered
2009 SC MRP
283 Posts
Problems with electronics are often (not always) mass problems.
I would check the ground connections under the dash.
Maybe a broken cable at the
door hinge (lock problem).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi there - long time listener first time caller - I have an '03 with 2 issues and I am trying to figure out if they are linked. I saw a post a while ago that fuse #9 is for radio + lock mechanism so I am wondering if it's a fuse issue or just coincidentally radio and lock problems.

1. factory radio: audio works but buttons generally don't work (only if I press really hard 1000 times), screen gets frozen in either off position or on with random things lit up, knobs fully work. my workaround for several months has been to just leave the radio on and use bluetooth aux.

2. lock: remote button lights up but does not do anything when pressed, car can be locked/unlocked manually using key but if I press the button on the driver-side door it only works for the non-driver-side locks. Manual lock/unlock was a fine workaround until recently my key started getting stuck in the lock.

Hey! I've had both issues a couple of years back. The door issue sounds like the same problem i had and ended up being the door lock actuator behind the door pandle, tidious fix put i swaped with new part within a couple of hours.

The radio problem took a while to find out why the buttons were acting that way. I replaced with another OEM off eBay that works flawlessly and what i found was that rain was the culprit. When it was pouring one day i noticed drops of water were falling directly unto the face of the radio. So when its gonna rain i put a towel over the radio and have a flex seal project pending to fix the water entirely from getting in. GL!

·
Registered
597 Posts
My wild ass guess is that you have two separate problems. should be enough YouTube videos out there on actuator replacement and radio replacements for you to learn how to diagnose and fix the problems if you’re wanting to try to diy.

·
Registered
2004 EX AWD
42 Posts
I'm with manny on this - two separate problems and I think he ID'ed both. The key FOB is working fine, but since the drivers door actuator isn't moving the lock, the other doors don't respond. I don't know why Honda wired it this way, but when the drivers door actuator goes out, the FOB doesn't work. I just fixed this exact problem myself. And, yes, it is a tedious job. But the part is cheap.

The radio is simply an old radio failing. I noticed mine would act better after being disconnected, but it still would go back to being wonky pretty quickly. The solution is simply a new radio. Even cheap radios now have bluetooth and other modern features. I think it is actually worth replacing with aftermarket, if for no other reason, hands free calling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! It sounds like probably separate issues of a broken actuator and the radio being old. Appreciate the quick responses, I'll probably work on both of these this weekend.

·
Registered
2004 EX AWD
42 Posts
There are a couple helpful youtube videos. The actuator was only like $30 if I remember right, but it is not an intuitive job. Not a terrible job, but having a video or two to refer to REALLY helps. When you take the door panel off, you will probably see your door speakers are shot. So you can order a cheap pair of speakers when you buy your new head unit!

·
Registered
2004 Sunset Orange Pearl-EX w/ 5-Speed Manual - 4WD - 157,000mi
1 Posts
I replaced the door actuator a few years ago and it’s tight working conditions. I found a CR-V video that had a much larger door panel hole , so I could see instead of feel my way through the job.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Problems with electronics are often (not always) mass problems.
I would check the ground connections under the dash.
Maybe a broken cable at the
door hinge (lock problem).
[/QUOTE

My lock problemwas broken cable I believe they said under drivers side door, did not cost much for them to fix in my case (a miracle), but I changed out the power lock module unit (easy, videos online first, was not the problem).

·
Registered
12 Posts
My lock problemwas broken cable I believe they said under drivers side door, did not cost much for them to fix in my case (a miracle), but I changed out the power lock module unit (easy, videos online first, was not the problem).

·
Registered
62 Posts

1. factory radio: audiEleo works but buttons generally don't work (only if I press really hard 1000 times), screen gets frozen in either off position or on with random things lit up, knobs fully work. my workaround for several months has been to just leave the radio on and use bluetooth aux.

03;s didn't have remote locks... even the EX models... the wiring was there so you can buy a replacement module and remote as a kit for a CRV or a 04 Element which is what I did.

You may have an aftermarket system

1 - 11 of 11 Posts