Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning fella's, I do have a problem. I have a 2006 Element, automatic. Ignition key will not turn, no warning beforehand, no troubles at all, went out to the car, got in, inserted key, would not turn, so now steering wheel is locked, and of course is stuck in Park. Tried moving steering wheel as much as it would allow back and forth, jiggled the key every which way, sprayed some dry Graphite film lube, nothing happening, key will not turn. Key is fine in all door locks, tried spare keys, no good either. OK, I figure it must be the ignition switch tumblers somehow became messed up, don't know, but cannot be driven to a Honda dealer, cannot put in neutral to roll out to street, it's lawn art parked at side of house. Found and contacted a "mobile mech" located in town here, who comes out to your cars location, have had no reply, talked to a Honda dealer, and they said the guy might not be able to fix it in that he can remove the old one but a new one needs to be re-programmed etc. and that I should "Somehow" have it towed to the dealer. If so, what damage might occur dragging the car down a driveway and up onto a truck and off again with everything locked up. the cost? I don't know, or turn the Element into a planter.

·
Registered
823 Posts
You can get it out of park by removing the little tab to the right of the auto transmission lever and inserting the key, it will release the lock on the shifter allowing you to move to neutral

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can get it out of park by removing the little tab to the right of the auto transmission lever and inserting the key, it will release the lock on the shifter allowing you to move to neutral

View attachment 208599
Thank you for the reply "wannahonda", I knew there was SOMETHING about the tab, just could not remember what. Anyway, tow truck fella knew about it, all loaded up nice and smooth, and is now at the Honda dealer. Next is, on line if I am correct, the part or assembly needed, ignition lock assembly replacement, was listed at $399, Honda so far said what might be needed, located in Portland, was more like $900. We'll see what we see, either way, being between a "rock and a hard place", needs to be done. After it's finished, keep the Element? A 2006, I bought it 5/2017 for $8000, put $2000 into it, (that includes a set of new tires), another $1200 in parts for two repairs, and now this, say anywhere from $800 to $1300. I like the rig, has worked for what I wanted it for, but who knows. Anyway fella's, good forum, LOTS of good infromation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts