Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I started my car, and got out to scrape the snow off the windows. I closed the driver's door, and as I walked around the front, I heard the locks click! DAMN!
So after my wife drove down with the spare key and saved me, I tried the remote. I figured it was swinging around the key chain hanging from the ignition and the lock button got pushed. But, with the car running, the remote won't lock or unlock the car!
Any theories as why I had a SESLE (Spontaneous E Self Locking Experience)?

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Is it possible you did the "door beeper mod" and disconnected the driver door switch?

If you unlock with the remote and don't open a door, the system will re-lock everything after one (or two?) minutes. The popular mod to prevent the key-in-ignition reminder beep disconnects the switch that is used to detect door opening.

·
Registered
556 Posts
It has happened to me but my key wasnt in the ignition. I unlocked my car to get something set my keys on the seat my mom called me closed the door want when i came back the doors were locked. Found out it has a 60 sec auto lock. but i was glad i was home so easy to get back in.

-gboy

·
Registered
36 Posts
you know i thought that my sisters E was the only one that would every now and then lock by it's self with the keys in the ignition. doesn't do it all the time, so we keep hide=a=keys on both the E's

Rick

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hide-A-Key

I hope you remove the chip from the key in the hide-a-key as this will prevent the car from being started with this key.

I also use the hide-a-key but with the chip removed.

I hid a good key inside the car, no not in any place one would think of looking.

Bob

·
Registered
539 Posts
I like the brass key alternative, rather than hiding a key that will start the E or potentially cutting up a good key.

And it's certainly better than other alternatives out there... :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it possible you did the "door beeper mod" and disconnected the driver door switch?

If you unlock with the remote and don't open a door, the system will re-lock everything after one (or two?) minutes. The popular mod to prevent the key-in-ignition reminder beep disconnects the switch that is used to detect door opening.
Npe, no door beeper mod. The only electrical mod is the driving lights tied into the low and high beams.
Every once in a while, I'll come out to it and find it locked. I don't usually lock it at work or when I'm parked in front of my house. Maybe some stray RF signals? Or alien interference?

I like the idea of the door-only key. Think I'll replace my *new* hide-a-key with that and stash an ignition key in one of the "cookie hiding places". :D

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Npe, no door beeper mod. The only electrical mod is the driving lights tied into the low and high beams.
Every once in a while, I'll come out to it and find it locked. I don't usually lock it at work or when I'm parked in front of my house. Maybe some stray RF signals? Or alien interference?
OK, fair enough. Something I discovered - not quite the hard way, thank goodness - was that the key fob rattling around in my wife's purse was getting bumped by normal purse junk, and voilá, lockensievouz. The lock button on the E fob is sensitive, plus it has a moderately long range.

Just a tho't. But how it was possible for an "unseen" fob to lock your car with the key in the ignition is beyond me.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a tho't. But how it was possible for an "unseen" fob to lock your car with the key in the ignition is beyond me.
I know! I experimented afterwards and can't get it to lock or unlock with the fob with the key in the ignition.
I thought that maybe somehow I got a delayed reaction from the lock button falling down when I shut the door?

This DID happen in the parking lot of the nuclear plant where I work. Maybe my E has mutated!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I must have a different system (passive): if I unlock (remote), and leave it untouched, it will re- lock after about 30 or so seconds.
If I open any door, then the only way it will re- lock is if I manually hit the lock key on the remote. Once more will alarm it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
usually the module must see a drivers door trigger to avoid the relock, so if you open the passenger door and put the keys inside, you're SOL.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
usually the module must see a drivers door trigger to avoid the relock, so if you open the passenger door and put the keys inside, you're SOL.
I sometimes use the fob to unlock the pass side in the garage to get stuff (even tho the driver is unlocked yes, I'm lazy). In the morning the doors are still unlocked. Does it stay unlocked because the driver's door was never locked? Or does the system also recognize a pass side access as well?

·
Registered
539 Posts
It seems to me that the system actually recognizes any door being opened once all the doors are unlocked with a fob, and once any of the doors is opened, the safety is disengaged and the doors stay unlocked. I will use the fob to unlock all the doors and then just open the tailgate, and the Element doesn't lock itself again.

·
Registered
590 Posts
must recognize all of them from one/both of the dome light signals then. most cars with keyless entry and auto-relock use the drivers door trigger. used to dispatch AAA towing from time to time out of the shop i was working at.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Yes - the keyless recognizes "any door". That's written somewhere - owner's manual or service book or something like that.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes - the keyless recognizes "any door". That's written somewhere - owner's manual or service book or something like that.
So what's the answer...I'm confused now.

Someone sum this up because I already locked my car keys in the car but that was because I did it myself. LOL

I don't need the system doing it for me. :confused:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I haven't memorized the manual so this is what I get so far.

To sum up.

If the fob is used to unlock and none of the doors are opened within a certain time they will lock automatically.

If during this time any of the doors are opened the re-lock is cancelled.

I have learned (via my wife) that if the vehicle is running and the doors are locked the fob will not unlock.

Anyone know what happens if the door dinger is disabled?

Once a friend of mine locked her keys in her 'burban. So she called "on star" (say it with a whiney voice and you have my opinion of it) to unlock it for her then she stood around yakkin and it locked her out again.:lol::lol:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts