Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a way to purchase a locking gas cap? I went down to a local autoparts store, bought what the owner figured would be the right cap, and the check engine light came on a few hours later (although the cap looked to be a good match). After reinstalling the factory cap, everything was fine. There must be a plase to buy a locking gas cap that fits the element. Any ideas?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Locking gas caps are out. Got some in today. Ask you Honda parts guys for a 17680-SAA-G00. They sell for $31.00. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
9 Posts
They are off and on back order - best thing to do is place an order with your favorite (insert online store here) and wait in line. HandA claims they won't bill you until it ships, you can cancel anytime, and the earlier you place the order, the earlier you may get it as they say they "urgent" all back orders so they ship as early as possible.

·
Registered
608 Posts
While I have ordered a locking gas cap, the only thing I don't like about it is that you need another key to work it. Your regualr honda key will not work in the lock. Kind of sucks, but hey, what can you do?

·
Registered
41 Posts
:?

Yesterday I ordered a locking cap from O'riely ( about 12-13$) it's not specifically for the El. but for the new Accords and Civics- I tried a non locking one to check the fit and it fit- also appeared to be vented. I'll give it a try if it will save some $ The one from H+ A and other acessory sites seem pretty pricy- for just a gas cap!

Dave :roll:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Got my locking gas cap today. It fits great, and works. Now I just gotta figure out where in the E to leave the key. I just don't want it on my keyring.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I too had a problem with a non Honda gas cap. At least I hope that's what it is. I was used to the cap on a Honda Civic where you just turn until you hit some resistance and that's it. Seems most of the non Honda ones require turning three clicks to fully seal

I'm amazed by the owner's manual stating that the light may take 3 days to go off! What if it's something else other than the gas cap? This is really wierd. Maybe I'm just being overly concerned or maybe not??

·
Registered
40 Posts
:idea: I too got my Honda locking gas cap and found a great place to store it for EX owners with overhead storage. Today when I opened it I noticed two clips on the door. I'm not sure what those clips are for but I plan on storing my there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts