Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Everyone,

I'm making a trip from southeast PA to Minneapolis and will be using my E to tow a 5x8 utility trailer with some stuff totaling probably no more than 500-700lbs.

I'm completely new to towing and I'm wondering if trailer sway is something I should be worried about. I'm gonna do my best to distribute the correct amount of weight on the tongue and I'll drive slower than usual, but do I need to invest the extra money in some type of weight distribution system or sway bar? I'd really rather not spend the extra money if I can avoid it.

Does anyone have any experiences or tips to share?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Below is my E with about 1200lbs hitched up to it. Spent a little extra time getting my tongue weight spot on and was completely stable at 80mph, it's all about the tongue weight.

·
Registered
715 Posts
My camper weighs over 1,500# loaded and there is no sway problem at all. Even at interstate highway speeds of 70 mph. You need to have 10-15% of your trailer weight on the hitch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences guys. I think I should be fine. I'll just make sure I take care to distribute the weight properly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You will want 10 to 15% of the loaded trailer weight on the ball. Too much and your lights will light up the clouds. Too little and you will get your dreaded trailer sway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts