Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 EX AWD
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning!! First post, but proud owner of 3 E’s. One of which I have made into an overlanding, camping, mountain biking rig. I LOVE it. Problem is, with all the accessories and stuff I want/need, I am running way overweight. Does anyone have experience with running overweight for a long period of time? Engine, transmission, brakes, suspension? We lifted it 3 in and are installing much stiffer springs so the suspension should be good. I am thinking about engine, trans, and brakes- upgrades? Long term experience, etc?
Thanks to all in the community, y’all are awesome!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Some have gone upgrading their brakes with acura calipers, I think there's a kit floating around somewhere, a search of the forum would probably help.

If you haven't done it before, and your torque converter hasn't developed a "shake" at certain speeds yet, I'd do a double drop of the tranny fluid with honda oem fluid. Again, a search would assist.

Otherwise, keeping up to date with maintenance will help your element last as long as possible. Obviously it likely won't last as long overloaded than empty, but maintenance will make a significant difference

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also, valve adjustment, and if any timing codes appear, get that stuff done too. Check idler pulley a. My e used to have a knock when I turned the wheel, rattle at idle, and a terrible knock when ac was on. A new idler pulley fixed all of that. The e should have SOME valve train noise, it should not be perfect. When cold started it should have some noise, then should get quieter as it warms up.

·
Registered
2010 EX AWD
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice on the brakes and transmission fluid- that will help I’m sure. We keep up with all the maintenance on schedule to more often. Usually by the dealer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I suppose if anyone has done the research I would be concerned with the springs sagging and crushing under weight, like every 90s 4runner ive seen, saggy butt problems, though old man emu sells a nice heavy overload coil spring (and leaf springs too depending on model year etc) which corrects the problem, heavy ply tires would help with weight (like a light truck tire load range C rather than a lighter weight tire like for passenger cars P type) but I also agree with previous suggestions, the extra weight can be hard on the transmission and running gear, so fluid changes can help prolong the life of these components, but remember, the elements are more of a car than a truck so try not to over do it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts