Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Honda Elements Owners

I start my membership with a a plea for assistance. In a well-intentioned quest to transport our Lab "Hudson" back and forth from his forest/lake/river romps without having to worry about the cleaning bills we bought an 05 Element 4WD LX. This was the first time we purchased a Honda that was not new or certified. We opted to “save” a few dollars and buy from a “wholesale” dealer in Groton CT because his price was right, the mileage was reasonable and AutoCheck gave the car a clean bill fo health. What could go wrong? Lets just say our mistake was we bought the car “AS IS”. So after it started bucking and stalled 30 miles after leaving the the seller’s driveway, we had no recourse but to see if we could repair it. (we did take him to small claims court and lost on a technicality - that’s another story). Here is our situation. After towing the car 150 miles to our trusted Honda Dealership in Kingston NY, the head mechanic said this ”PRESSURE TESTED COOLING SYSTEM, COOLANT LEAKING INTO #2 &#3 CYLINDERS. WE DISCOVERED COOLANT HAS "STOP LEAK" IN COOLANT.CAR HAS NEWER AFTERMARKET RADIATOR IN VEHICLE. CAR WAS SEVERELY OVERHEATED: PISTONS & CYLINDER WALLS SCORED(VIEWED WITH BORE SCOPE) RECOMMENDED USED ENGINE OVER REBUILDING EXISTING ( EST COST: 4235+TAX)
The mechanic said otherwise the car is not bad shape for a vehicle with 138,000 miles on it.
My wife wants to donate the car to charity. I would like to get some of our money back or find a place where I can get a rebuilt engine installed for a reasonable price - not $4235 + tax. I am open to suggestions regarding getting it running again or interest in anyone buying the car for parts or their own repair efforts.

Thank you for you consideration

Paul and Julianne​

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
a used JDM engine would be around $1K. getting yours removed and the used one installed would cost another $1K, maybe more. that's about what it would take to end up with a useable vehicle.
you have a rare color for Elements, only offered for a few months of 2005. and it's 4WD. even so, i doubt you would ever break even financially. but if you just need a dog hauler, it could be worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JDM engine and installer leads

a used JDM engine would be around $1K. getting yours removed and the used one installed would cost another $1K, maybe more. that's about what it would take to end up with a useable vehicle.
you have a rare color for Elements, only offered for a few months of 2005. and it's 4WD. even so, i doubt you would ever break even financially. but if you just need a dog hauler, it could be worth it.
Thank you for the JDM suggestion.:) My town of Saugerties is one hour south of Albany in New York. Any suggestions regarding installers?

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have a K24A2 it was swaed at 45,000 miles, was out of a 06 acura tsx type s, fit right in, it has a hondata kpro 4 ecu and tuned, but ihear the haltech ecu is better, you will need a ecu for the swap,

but i strongly recommend it , the stock k24 in the element, is 160hp, and the k24a2 is 205hp, and there is a 1mm wider bore in the cylendars/ larger heads, and oil injectors behind the stroke of the piston head, to make it even more reliable,

i know in japan they have laws on there emissions that force motor swaps, so they ship them here, i know you can find them online for reasonable, but mines about 194000 miles, and lot has Been replaced, lol i would recommend tyranny rebuild if its a manual, manual, if you can afford to after, also look in to Rhurts 6th speed conversion, with the larger motor, and programmable ecu, having the 6th gear was a large change in my E,

also tho, lol ive seen some kits to do the 6 cylendar swap, and umm yeah, more power :) heavy box,

i also have dogs, i have found that a puzzle pice foam mat they have at they store, and cut it to fit 6 squares, whenever i have the dogs i pop it in there,and it saves my interior lol, 2 large dogs, american stafshire/boxer 110lb, and a all wight German Sheppard,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man those are two LARGE dogs! Your advice is considered! Thank you.
If the engine swap becomes a challenge here upstate NY, what are my chances at offering the element for sale AS IS either parts or a project? The things is we already bought a 2016 FIT so we can have wheels. The FIT, with seats down, makes a great moving dog house!

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Man those are two LARGE dogs! Your advice is considered! Thank you.
If the engine swap becomes a challenge here upstate NY, what are my chances at offering the element for sale AS IS either parts or a project? The things is we already bought a 2016 FIT so we can have wheels. The FIT, with seats down, makes a great moving dog house!
Hi . Sorry I heard that. I maybe craziest guy here but when I hear stories like this I'm maybe not. Me and my family (wife and 2 adult sons) have been driving rebuilt cars for 15 years. Never had any mechanical or even tire issues for that many years. I'm handy but not trained mechanic but can do a lot by myself. I trust more salvaged cars with low miles of course in run and drive condition more than I trust used cars at local dealerships with a lot of miles on them . I had that problem with my 2 cars at local dealerships and decide to go for salvage to rebuild process and hit a bingo. Anyway everybody have their opinions and experiences.
I sold many of them after 2-3 years of driving and never had a single person to call or complain about them and just have couple thank you letters from buyers.
I do not want to insult anybody but I saved tens of thousands of Dollars and sometime even make some.
There is website car-part.com where you can find engine or anything you need .
Element engine is very common and CRV use it and many other Honda , Acura models. Pull a part or u pull and pay have engines for $200 from wrecked cars. I'm sure there is a lot of mechanics there who can swap your engine for $500-800 .
I saw many Elements with 3-400 k miles on auctions. There is many wrecked with 100 or so.
Element is awesome car for a lot of activities and very practical.
se my pics . I'm driving rebuilt Element for a month and put already 5000 miles on it. Currently 75500 on 06 LX 4wd .
I purchased it for $2500 on salvage yard and I needed new headlight and Hood . I worked 2 days and have been driving it since end of February.
Anyway nice and clean like 5 years vehicle.
Thanks for reading my story and sorry for a few grammar mistakes. I'm not born here but I'm legal US citizen since 05.
nice day to all Element lovers,
Sid

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi . Sorry I heard that. I maybe craziest guy here but when I hear stories like this I'm maybe not. Me and my family (wife and 2 adult sons) have been driving rebuilt cars for 15 years. Never had any mechanical or even tire issues for that many years. I'm handy but not trained mechanic but can do a lot by myself. I trust more salvaged cars with low miles of course in run and drive condition more than I trust used cars at local dealerships with a lot of miles on them . I had that problem with my 2 cars at local dealerships and decide to go for salvage to rebuild process and hit a bingo. Anyway everybody have their opinions and experiences.
I sold many of them after 2-3 years of driving and never had a single person to call or complain about them and just have couple thank you letters from buyers.
I do not want to insult anybody but I saved tens of thousands of Dollars and sometime even make some.
There is website car-part.com where you can find engine or anything you need .
Element engine is very common and CRV use it and many other Honda , Acura models. Pull a part or u pull and pay have engines for $200 from wrecked cars. I'm sure there is a lot of mechanics there who can swap your engine for $500-800 .
I saw many Elements with 3-400 k miles on auctions. There is many wrecked with 100 or so.
Element is awesome car for a lot of activities and very practical.
se my pics . I'm driving rebuilt Element for a month and put already 5000 miles on it. Currently 75500 on 06 LX 4wd .
I purchased it for $2500 on salvage yard and I needed new headlight and Hood . I worked 2 days and have been driving it since end of February.
Anyway nice and clean like 5 years vehicle.
Thanks for reading my story and sorry for a few grammar mistakes. I'm not born here but I'm legal US citizen since 05.
nice day to all Element lovers,
Sid
I appreciate your story and advice about where to get that engine. I am aware that if I spend more money I can salvage this element and have it join our car family. This was my wife's purchase and she put in close to $6000 including the initial sale price, then insurance, necessary repairs (before they scoped the engine) and registration. She is reluctant to spend more money. I cannot blame her for that. I will share your story with her and see what she says. Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 11 of 11 Posts