Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having made the mistake of drilling holes for a cell phone mount in a leased vehicle (I really did think I was going to buy it until I caught a glimpse of the "E"), I have discovered a wonderful mounting tape that provides a rock solid mount.

The product is "U-Fix-It" Double Stick Mounting Tape. I bought the Heavy-Duty, exterior tape. It is made by Xcel Manufacturing Group by Winston Manufacturing. It is black tape with a green skin to make one ise sticky and the other protected. I bought it in Canadain Tire.

It did not seem very sticky when I first tried it, but I have used two strips under the cell phone mount. It's now quite firmly adhered to the kitchen counter - it does not rock or pull away. It seems to get stickier after applied.

I am definitely going to try using this as a solution when the "E" comes in, instead of drilling holes in it.

Iskie

·
Registered
493 Posts
Being a ham radio person, the first thing I thought of was where to put stuff without drilling holes. This applies to where to mount the antenna, the radio and how to run the coax to connect the above. Antenna is mounted under the hood, between the hood and fender by using an existing bolt holding the fender. Coax is run along and thru the space between the fender and body into the cabin. Radio is mounted on the dash (actually the remote head is mounted on the dash; the rest is hidden so it cannot be seen) with double sided velcro glued to the dash and part of radio. Easily pulled from dash to hide when in a bad area. Roof mounted spotlight is mounted on the roof rack with bolts and brackets either side of the rack (no holes) and line running down to and into the door and into the headliner by pulling the black water sealer down and stuffing the line into the crack between. Finally the dash mount controlls are not dash mounted, but metal box mounted on a gooseneck and screwed to the plastic on the floor (oh no.....3 small holes!) between the seats.

Ger

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No "E", yet. If the stars align, I get it after coming back from a business trip in Las Vegas on May 5th. At worse, I hope by the end of that week - May 9th.

My "E" sightings seem to have gone down in the last little while. I hope I am not alone when I get it on the roads. :(

Thanks Ger, for the mounting tips. I have found the velcro I can get has miserable adhesive.

Iskie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts