Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am currently looking at a silver 2007 Automatic EX with 132,000 for sale by owner. It is posted at $7500 but said he would take $7000. I have test drove it and spoke with the owner. The owner is an older man who just upgraded to a newer E and is selling this one. He has all the service records and comes from a good neighborhood right by me. Drives smooth and made no noises when turning. Interior is very clean. Is this a good price? I'll be moving to Colorado soon for work and I think this would be a great car to have out there.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,015 Posts
Welcome to the EOC Nikkivo. :)

The price is a little high, but not terribly out of line. Perhaps more like what you would pay a dealer rather than a private party. But, compared to the price of new cars these days, it's not bad!

Having the maintenance records is always a real plus when buying a used car. Look to see if the records include a Valve Adjustment, which should have been done at around 100K miles. If not, you could use that to bargain the price down. (A valve adjustment would typically cost about $250 - $300.)

You didn't mention what part of the country the car came from. If it spent most or all of it's life in an area where road salt is never used, that's another big plus. Clean under-bodies make for fewer and less expensive repairs later on.

But if it came from a rust belt state with road salt every winter; well, you had better get a shop to check the under-body to see if there is rust damage. In fact if it is rusty underneath, you should probably pass on it. These Elements can still look very good on the outside, but may have a lot of rust on the bottom.

Other than that, just the usual stuff, like tread remaining on the tires. (For that price it should have better than half tread remaining.)

BTW, a 2007 is a good year because it was the first year for the 5 speed automatic trans (2003 - 2006 were 4 speed automatics) which helps a bit with highway MPG.

If it passes all of the above tests and if you like it, go ahead and buy it!

If not, keep on searching,

I wish you well! :)

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
228 Posts
Also check to see if the transmission and differential fluid have been changed. Ideally, they should both have been changed at least twice. Look for when the brakes have been changed (just pads, rotors and pads, calipers?). I just went through this on the 2007 I bought a month ago - 3 of 4 TPMS sensors (still original) bit the dust - I had all four replaced ($400). The internet says the battery in the sensors only last 5 - 12 years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts