Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m about to test drive a 2011 EX, is there anything specific I should look at to make sure it’s in good shape? It also has had 6 owners, some who only kept it for a few months, should that worry me?

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
171 Posts
What part of the country? Besides the obvious stuff like checking the condition of tires, brakes, exhaust, suspension, etc., check the underside (structure and suspension components) for excessive rust. Check the service history, ideally, the transmission fluid and differential fluid (if AWD) should have been changed at least once as well as brake fluid and power steering fluid. If there is a Carfax that identifies a dealer or dealers who have serviced it, check for some persistent problem that maybe couldn't be resolved - six owners sounds fishy to me although certain situations can increase the owner count. I just bought a one owner 2007 with 87k, so I became the second owner, then we switched the title to be joint with my son (his car, but joint makes the insurance cheaper), so now it would show as a 3 owner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I actually picked it up today and it seems to be in great condition. I have 5 days to return it if anything is majorly wrong and I’m having my mechanic look at it in the next couple days. I’m in Ohio so I expect some rust but hopefully nothing too bad, I’ll check tomorrow. And I talked to the dealer about the owners and he said quite a few of them were other dealerships. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
936 Posts
Welcome to the EOC Scoll! :)

94K is considered low mileage on Elements these days. And 2011 models, being the last year of production, make them in high demand. So you did well!

Please post some pictures of your new ride when you get a chance.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,479 Posts
It also has had 6 owners, some who only kept it for a few months, should that worry me?
IMHO - YES, that should worry you - even (or maybe ESPECIALLY if) they were dealers - why? What is the reason for such a short "ownership"? It may be just because, in the dealer's area, Elements don't sell well. In any case, a CARFAX and thorough check should alleviate those concerns. :unsure: :)
Congrats on your purchase and many years of trouble free driving!! (y) :p

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
936 Posts
Nice! Looks like it's in great shape! I'm downright envious! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’m about to test drive a 2011 EX, is there anything specific I should look at to make sure it’s in good shape? It also has had 6 owners, some who only kept it for a few months, should that worry me?
We've owned our 2010 EX since new, it has 64k miles now. The only problems we've had so far: the TPMS has NEVER worked- I can't tell you how many sensors Honda replaced but they simply gave up on it after 2 years. Another problem since new, the heater does not work- they attempted numerous repairs but they never worked. Since we live in the south we rarely need it, but I have to manually activate a valve under the hood and one under the dash. Other than that check the serpentine belt, I replaced mine 2k miles ago after I noticed a fray in 2 spots. Other than those minor issues it's been a great ride and the wife still loves it more than the day she got it.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts