Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi you happy Element owners,

I would like to get your opinions on two issues.

A. Is the Elemet (AWD) suitable for moderate off-roading? I mean driving on forest roads, etc?

B. Has anyone purchased an Element in Canada? What kind of discounts should I expect, if any?

I am debating if I should buy a new Element (I love it) or a used (1999/2000) Honda CRV.

I will appreciate your feed-back.

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I can't speak to the off road yet, but if it is anything like our crv it will do fine.

I bought in canada and I think I got an okay deal. Paid msrp plus accessories and gst.Did okay on the trade. We bought two the same day from the same salesman we bought the crv from. really liked the salesman and felt we were treated right. Mine was in the show room and had it in 4 days. The SOP took almost three weeks. as of last week it was a 3 month wait for awd Ys.

As for the 9 cvr it is a great car. A little smaller than the new ones but has a more rugged look. The awd in the 99 is on all the time unlike the element. The biggest diff between the crv and the Element (besides looks) is the space. Taking the crv to the cabin is cramped and the dog looks over my head, In the Element, everthing fits with the seats in place.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've had my "E" AWD for only a week and have had nothing but crappy weather every day since I got it. Snow, freezing rain, more snow, fog, drifts and commuting in the ruts of BIG trucks. I was even out busting through 3 foot snow drifts last Sunday night at 11pm. (I went out to shovel the walk and got carried away.) It proved to me that this is a great rig. However, your question is would it be great on tough logging roads and to that I would say be careful. Although the "E" sits high there is not an abundance of clearance in the undercarriage. There is a protective structure that hangs below the body that will be cause for concern. If your talking about roads into the cottage then your fine, but if your looking at something to take you into the back "bush" roads of BC, Ontario or Quebec then think again. The Element is NOT designed for "Logging" roads.

But given time I'm sure someone will come up with a conversion kit that will set the "E" up in the clouds.

As for discounts from Honda dealers in Canada, don't hold your breath. They get the price, I got REALLY lucky as a SOP AWD Y came in just before I got there and I only had to wait a few days for options and preping. As I said I've had mine a week and put on a moderate 1200KM.

I would get the Element over the CRV for no other reason than the amount of interior room, usability, and intelligent features the "E" has over the CRV. I also like the "E" because it's like noting else out there right now. I'm not driving a clone. It's an "odd" looking wee beast and I love it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts