Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm excited to join this community! I'm going to be a first time E owner (hopefully soon!) We'll be using this car for some light commuting and mostly camping trips.

I stumbled upon one with the ecamper upgrade which has me VERY intrigued. I've talked with the seller and have looked over the Carfax. It has a clean title, regular oil changes, but likely some larger maintenance items coming up due to the mileage, like suspension, brakes, and he hasn't done the valve adjustment....

2008 EX ecamper - 172k
The main reason I'm interested in this one is because of the ecamper -- that is a big added value for me. The car itself is nothing particularly special. I have a slight preference of the looks of the 2008 model over newer gens, but that is a very minor thing. I don't mind a bit of wear and tear because then I'm not paranoid about driving / using the car... but it does have some rust since it spent 4 years in the North before moving to the South. I already put out a feeler on price and he will sell for $9500 but I think the maintenance issues might help me negotiate it down to $8500-9000.

Some of the big ticket repairs do worry me... Thoughts? Any guidance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
992 Posts
Welcome to the EOC Bgusto! :)

The asking prices that I have seen on the E-camper Elements that have come up for sale on this site are usually around twice what a without E-camper version would sell for.

So, if you can negotiate the seller down to about $8500 or maybe even less, that sounds more in the ballpark. The average without E-camper '08 Element with 172K miles would sell for about $4000, maybe $4500 tops; so............

But do get it inspected by a 3rd party mechanic before you go laying down that kind of money. Around here a thorough inspection (up on a lift, wheels off, etc.) will cost $50 - $75 and is cheap insurance against any hidden trouble and will get you a better idea of the life expectancy of the suspension and brakes and so forth. And yes, check for under-body rust; it doesn't look too bad in the pictures you posted, but there could be some serious rust lurking somewhere. And that would be a deal breaker!

There aren't that many E-campers out there for sale, but the demand for them isn't real high either. That should be to your advantage.

Let us know if you end up buying this one.

I wish you well! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you @te1966 . I am concerned about rust, and the laundry list of repairs (I think) it will need in the not so distant future. After making a spreadsheet with costs, it's looking like it could quickly turn into a fairly expensive car, even if I was able to get 8500.

Here's another one I've been considering. It's a 2003 but the meticulous maintenance records and zero rust (confirmed with seller) actually give me more confidence that this E would last us longer. No side airbags in this model (correct?) is slightly concerning.

However, for a 2003 I'm amazed at the price... :oops:

·
Registered
8 Posts
HI Bgusto,
I'm selling my 2008 EX AWD with 139500 miles on it. Not an E-camper but it has a custom heavy duty roof rack that a roof top tent could easily be mounted to. Currently set up with a solar shower tube and ARB awning. Fresh all terrain tires, brakes, new radiator plus more
20200308_134938.jpg
. I just took pictures of it today to list it on Craigslist. Message me for more info if you're interested!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI Bgusto,
I'm selling my 2008 EX AWD with 139500 miles on it. Not an E-camper but it has a custom heavy duty roof rack that a roof top tent could easily be mounted to. Currently set up with a solar shower tube and ARB awning. Fresh all terrain tires, brakes, new radiator plus more. I just took pictures of it today to list it on Craigslist. Message me for more info if you're interested!
@mfuni PM'd You.

·
Registered
16 Posts
HI Bgusto,
I'm selling my 2008 EX AWD with 139500 miles on it. Not an E-camper but it has a custom heavy duty roof rack that a roof top tent could easily be mounted to. Currently set up with a solar shower tube and ARB awning. Fresh all terrain tires, brakes, new radiator plus more View attachment 204549 View attachment 204549 View attachment 204550 . I just took pictures of it today to list it on Craigslist. Message me for more info if you're interested! View attachment 204551
What brand, size, and model/style tires are on your E?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts