Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 silver/grey LX
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I saw this on ebay, and love it. Wondering if anyone here has done a diy with a rug or something similar. I’d be interested in trying!

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I would love for this seller to make this rug w/o the cut outs in the middle....I saw these about a month ago....I just sent him a message in eBay about making a set w/o the middle cut outs for seats....

As far as making your own....well, by the time you purchase the industrial sewing machine to do the edge piping and make a template, may as well just pay the $100.00 for this one, no ?

He's only charging $19.00 shipping, and I know from just shipping car mats thats at least half of what it really costs to ship that huge rug...

·
Registered
2008 silver/grey LX
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For sure - can help thinking it wouldn’t be too hard to make. I think the rough dimensions are 3.5’ x around 6’ I forget exactly.

as it is, it’s about $150 on eBay

·
Registered
2004 honda element EX
25 Posts
i just got one and installed it. looks pretty darn good worth the money! only issue if people sit in the rear seats the rug can get shoved forward a bit cause it doesnt stick to floor and hold very well. slippery. need to secure it so it doesnt slide around. but its heavy duty and well made otherwise.

·
Registered
2008 silver/grey LX
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just got one and installed it. looks pretty darn good worth the money! only issue if people sit in the rear seats the rug can get shoved forward a bit cause it doesnt stick to floor and hold very well. slippery. need to secure it so it doesnt slide around. but its heavy duty and well made otherwise.
nice- you think some Velcro or double sided tape will do the trick?

·
Registered
2008 silver/grey LX
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also heard it helps with road noise deadening—what do you think?

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,128 Posts
I did this about 2 years ago. I also have a shorter piece of carpet that I use only for the area behind the back seats. Here's the link from when I first did it:
IMG_5542.JPG
IMG_5542.JPG

·
Registered
2008 silver/grey LX
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did this about 2 years ago. I also have a shorter piece of carpet that I use only for the area behind the back seats. Here's the link from when I first did it: View attachment 204944 View attachment 204944

Looks perfect! Does the carpet fray at all at the edges? And did you have to tuck it into any of the trim?

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,128 Posts
Looks perfect! Does the carpet fray at all at the edges? And did you have to tuck it into any of the trim?
It does fray just a little in the back part (the only wear area) but really not bad. Like I mentioned in the link, I just cut the carpet into a little oversize rectangle, put it in the back of the E and started trimming the excess with a drywall knife, like any home carpet installer would do.

I did it mainly for practical reasons (keeping things from sliding around back there), but it turned out surprisingly nice looking!

And to think I was ready to just pitch that red carpet! :)

·
Registered
2008 silver/grey LX
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered the eBay mat just now. Anyone who’s got it or who’s done a diy - how’d you keep it from slipping around? Velcro? I’m wondering if the adhesive on the Velcro would melt in the heat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts