Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else having trouble with headlamps burning out often in their Element? I go through 1 set of bulbs every 14 months or so which seems a bit excessive, since I have only had to replace a bulb once (maybe twice) since I began driving/owning cars in 1989. I have been using Sylvania (the only brand the auto parts stores around here carry), but am losing faith in that brand, or is it the Element?

Just wondering what those out there are using. I am looking for long lasting/value more than whiz bang performance.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've had to replace each twice in 2 1/2 years. The sylvania bright ones lasted about two months and I've replace the regular ones now. I guess I'll have to get some GE or other brand at WallMart.
se

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Sylvania Silverstars are notorious for short life, but you didn't say whether you were using them or the regular Sylvanias. Try a different brand; you should be able to find 9003 bulbs in a department store, increasing your odds of getting GE, Wagner, or Philips.
Thanks, I'll have to expand my search and for sure avoid Sylvania bulbs. It amazes me that they make such an inferior product and also charge so much. You would think if the bulbs perform poorly in testing and that gets overlooked, certainly customer feedback would initiate a change (I have sent complaint letters). I have been through 2 pairs of "regular" Sylvania bulbs and also a pair of Silverstars sandwiched in between.

BTW, what is this "9003" number you refer to, a generic style number? Thanks again. Jeff.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
From all the posts I've read in numerous forums on the Silverstars, there seems to be a bit of a trend where they are very intolerant of the cold. My experience jives with that. I've had three sets all lasting well over 2 years each but I live in south Texas. Folks with any sustained temps of colder weather don't seem to be able to keep them lit more than a few months.

Try a different store for replacements...not only for brand but maybe there's a heavy handed stockperson throwing these things around a bit, too. Who knows?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, The origional bulbs in the E are Phillips Long Life,German manufacture. They are made for cars with DRLs,taxies etc. I don't know if the dealer sells these same bulbs or not. I got mine from Power Bulbs in the UK.Good price,fast free delivery by airmail. What you want is "Phillips Longer Life" in type H4 . I have yet to find a "high power" bulb that lasts more than about 200 hours. The illumination problem with the headlights on the E is not the wattage of the bulb,but the c#%p beam pattern from DOT lights.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
I have only been able to find the Sylvania brand in the Auto stores.

The factory bulbs lasted three years until one burned out but I replaced both. That was last Oct/Nov 2008. Just last weekend I had to replace one of those :mad: --only 8 months later!! The replacements were Sylvania Silverstar 9003 HB2 HB4 Xtravision.

-g

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
HID projector retrofit. HID bulbs have a longer life than halogens, generally.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts