Honda Element Owners Club banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
TireRack and Missing Link to Element Expert There

I think it's great that TireRack spends on advertising and supports this most helpful site.

What I DON'T like is the fact the neither they, nor this site, has identified someone who is an "Element Go-To Guy/Gal(s)"

This has been brought up in the past by others, but I still don't see any Element contacts there in all the ads.

Why?

And I don't buy that ever telesales person there knows every car they recommend tires for.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What I DON'T like is the fact the neither they, nor this site, has identified someone who is an "Element Go-To Guy/Gal(s)"
Reviving this thread a little, because every time it's "the night before new tires", I spend a lot of time crosschecking my work. :)

The E is basically a CR-V platform -- without the encumbrance of aerodynamics. So you're talking about a basic 4-cylinder Honda. Some have 2WD, some (most Es) have AWD.

There isn't anything particular to the suspension on the E that requires extra or specialized knowledge. On the previous generation Acura TL, the independent suspension caused the rear tires to severely toe-in when there were extra loads -- like bottoming at speed in a road trough, or having a lot of suitcases in the trunk even. (This was part of the reason the OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL42s were usually bald at 17K, and part of the reason Acura had BT change the rubber compound.)

The Wrangler HPs that come on Es are a good, average tire. But at 1300 miles I've had enough of them, so I'm spending mucho bucks tomorrow on Goodyear's premium light truck tire -- the Fortera Triple Tred. I see a number of people have issues with road noise from them, but I'd rather have that aggressive sipe pattern on the tread (and turn the radio a notch louder).

We've gotten tires online from tirerack.com before, and recommend it to everyone. But we sometimes take the knowledge gained from reading their reviews and use it to negotiate locally. If you're using one of the big tire companies that has its own stores, see if they'll match price. If they will, it's worth going that way because you'll have free lifetime balancing AND you'll have someone you can go right back to if anything goes wrong.

(Gee, today I started out looking through 17" rims at tirerack, because I was considering even bigger changes. Now I'm going to get OEM-sized replacements with the premium Goodyear tire, at their store.)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tire questions

I sure do hope I don't seem dumb or naive, but coming from a practical background, I'm always concerned about getting full use of everything I buy.
I was wondering how many E owners who have changed their tires waited until the originals were worn out. I have 43000 on mine now, but I've been wanting to get white letters and go a little oversize for a long time.
I'm also more from the off-road look so I like to have a good amount of rubber rather than a larger diameter wheel and low profile tire. (That's what my Acura TL-AWD is for) :-D
If you do replace the tires before they are worn out, what have you done with them?
Must seem strange for a 62 year old retiree to ask these questions, but the 'making good use of stuff" is strongly ingrained in me.
btw, those who have gone up a size or 2 without changing the stock rims, has the change been positive?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I sure do hope I don't seem dumb or naive, but coming from a practical background, I'm always concerned about getting full use of everything I buy.
I was wondering how many E owners who have changed their tires waited until the originals were worn out. I have 43000 on mine now, but I've been wanting to get white letters and go a little oversize for a long time.
I'm also more from the off-road look so I like to have a good amount of rubber rather than a larger diameter wheel and low profile tire. (That's what my Acura TL-AWD is for) :-D
If you do replace the tires before they are worn out, what have you done with them?
Must seem strange for a 62 year old retiree to ask these questions, but the 'making good use of stuff" is strongly ingrained in me.
btw, those who have gone up a size or 2 without changing the stock rims, has the change been positive?
Thanks!!
I dumped the Goodyear Wronglers at 3000 miles because it took that long to decide that they were what was making my E impossible to drive on the highway. We spent a lot of money checking alignments, balancing, etc, and then I caved to the pressure of -all- the negative information here and elsewhere and decided to cut my losses and try another brand of tire. Yes, it completely fixed the problem and I curse Honda under my breath for making me suffer and putting my life at risk every time I needed to go on the open road just so they could save a few dollars.

The rest of your question? I kept those tires, wondering what else I could do with them until finally giving them to a friend on a low budget and driving on bald tires who still tells me that they work fine on his different sized vehicle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
tires

I dumped the Goodyear Wronglers at 3000 miles because it took that long to decide that they were what was making my E impossible to drive on the highway. We spent a lot of money checking alignments, balancing, etc, and then I caved to the pressure of -all- the negative information here and elsewhere and decided to cut my losses and try another brand of tire. Yes, it completely fixed the problem and I curse Honda under my breath for making me suffer and putting my life at risk every time I needed to go on the open road just so they could save a few dollars.

The rest of your question? I kept those tires, wondering what else I could do with them until finally giving them to a friend on a low budget and driving on bald tires who still tells me that they work fine on his different sized vehicle.
What problems did you have on the highway with them?

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
At 50-55, no big problem. The front end liked to wander like a bad wheel alignment job but that was checked out and well in specs. Dealer could've made some easy money by saying it wasn't.

60mph and it's hard to control but do-able. Wouldn't want to take any long trips though.

65 and can barely keep control. A sudden gust of wind from a passing truck would probably send me off the road before I could recover it.

70 = suicide, plain and simple.

Upping the tire pressure to 45psi did help a little but not very much.

Removing the Goodyears and mounting Geolander HT/S completely solved the problem. I bought them at Discount Tire and explained the problem. They examined the old tires and checked the balance before the switch and they couldn't find anything either. Their thoughts mirrored mine and most everyone else here that the Wronglers have too flexible of a sidewall for such a short wheelbase.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I took off the stock tires with less than 7000 miles on them. They were Dangerous on wet roads. They would slide in a turn, and spin coming away from a light. They wondered around in a flat highway. They were just Junk.

It was not worth crashing a good car to save a few $ .. I changed them out on my e and the Wifes E.

I did her E first. I wanted to keep her safe.

This was the thread from 06.

Another from 07.

Dom

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Searched for this tire size but didn't find anybody running this tire size. It has the same height as the 235/70/16 but a little fatter at 65. My tire dealer is giving me a guarantee that it will fit or else he'll change them to 235/70/16.

Any thoughts?
The tire size difference is so minute, you would never know it unless you looked at the lettering...

·
Registered
1 Posts
looking for new tires

I'm brand new to this site! I enjoy reading the posts but some how I get lost in them.. I dont have much knowledge in cars :(.. I was wondering if anyone could advice me for a new set of tires for my 2004 E.. I foud some tires here at a local shop but they are quite expensive.. I've been looking online and apparently i can get them a lot lower than in the local shop.. now I'm pretty lost on the numbers for OEM and all the sizes that can fit my E .. the guy at the local shop said he didnt advice to put any other set of numbers in my E because it was not the original size.. so if anyone can help! I just need new tires and something that can fit my car at a very low cost! thanks in advance! :D

arlen ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm brand new to this site! I enjoy reading the posts but some how I get lost in them.. I dont have much knowledge in cars :(.. I was wondering if anyone could advice me for a new set of tires for my 2004 E.. I foud some tires here at a local shop but they are quite expensive.. I've been looking online and apparently i can get them a lot lower than in the local shop.. now I'm pretty lost on the numbers for OEM and all the sizes that can fit my E .. the guy at the local shop said he didnt advice to put any other set of numbers in my E because it was not the original size.. so if anyone can help! I just need new tires and something that can fit my car at a very low cost! thanks in advance! :D

arlen ;)
Stock is 215/70/16 - a lot of people use larger tires and nobody has reported problems with 225/70/16, but that would probably cost more.

Your first choice is whether you want:
* All terrain or mud/snow tire (better traction, but more road noise),
* All-season tire (decent snow performance, quieter), or
* Road tire (would be quietest, but basically summer only, and they don't seem cheap).

Popular brands seem to be Michelin LTX, General Grabber, Nokian WR, Yokohama Geolanders, and Firestone Destination LE. I'm sure I'm leaving out some good tires from this list. Nobody has good things to say about the stock Wranglers. The particular flavor of the above tire that you might want will depend on your choice of tire type (for example, General Grabber AT is all terrain, General Grabber HT-S is all-seson, and General Grabber UHP is their summer/road/performance tire).

If I was looking to buy decent tires at a reasonable cost, I'd be focusing on the General Grabbers and Firestone Destination LE's (if Firestone had a good sale). But that's just me. The consumer reviews on tirerack.com were very helpful in making my decision.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I just need new tires and something that can fit my car at a very low cost! thanks in advance! :D

arlen ;)
Hey Arlen,

Fill in the rest of your profile (location/at least the state or province!) so E-folks will know where you are hailing from... Also, do you have a custom color Element...? Lastly, "very low cost" is NOT something to consider when it comes to a key safety system of your E... You need good tires to brake in time and maybe swerve/dodge as well as stay on the road...

Plan on spending from $450-$700 for new tires...

Good luck and post pics in the "Greets & Intro" section so you can get a proper EOC welcome... Let us know your results...

LBD

·
Registered
120 Posts
getting 18x8 matte black wheels with 42 offset.

thinking about going with 235/60/18 tires or maybe even 245/55/18. i feel that 235/55 tires will just look too small....

thoughts??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Steelies and Rubber

Hey everyone, I'm looking at putting black steelies and some 235/70R/16's on my 2005 Nighthawk Black EX. I have blacked out all the bumpers, grilles and emblems; this is the last step in my offroad blackout machine. Anyone know how much steelies weigh, or a link that can tell me. I want the tire and wheel weight to be about the same as it came with when I had the alloys on it. Also looking for a good stiffer shock and strut combo to put on it if anyone knows a good fit for the Element.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm looking at putting black steelies and some 235/70R/16's on my 2005 Nighthawk Black EX. I have blacked out all the bumpers, grilles and emblems; this is the last step in my offroad blackout machine. Anyone know how much steelies weigh, or a link that can tell me. I want the tire and wheel weight to be about the same as it came with when I had the alloys on it. Also looking for a good stiffer shock and strut combo to put on it if anyone knows a good fit for the Element.

according to this link 35lbs - http://www.uniquewheel.com/catalog_pg7.html

click on details and then there is a shipping weight column.

also...i guess you could talk to this guy since he has a similar set-up that you are describing - http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64128

·
Registered
47 Posts
SC Tires

Hello all, its been awhile since I posted here. So its time for some new tires for my 2008 SC. Search has provided me with scattered info. Wondering what you all recommend or some links to other posts you know about concerning the options. Honda gave me over the phone like 5 options with the Stock Goodyear being the less expensive, all seem pricey! Have had the Goodyear tires for just over 36000 with some long drives on them and well, they were all cracked up just a year after I drove off the lot, but never failed on me. (knock on wood) Thinking about the next level up on some new shoes. What say you?
Thanks
-ET

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
google tire rack put in your size and do a little reading. I'm thinking about a set of General G-MAX 235-55-18 for my EX (I have SC rims)
My speedometer is more accurate with 235 then with 225.
print out the page and take it to discount tire and they can order a set and match the price. It might take a week or two.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Hello all, its been awhile since I posted here. So its time for some new tires for my 2008 SC. Search has provided me with scattered info. Wondering what you all recommend or some links to other posts you know about concerning the options. Honda gave me over the phone like 5 options with the Stock Goodyear being the less expensive, all seem pricey! Have had the Goodyear tires for just over 36000 with some long drives on them and well, they were all cracked up just a year after I drove off the lot, but never failed on me. (knock on wood) Thinking about the next level up on some new shoes. What say you?
Thanks
-ET
Check out this thread:

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69190

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks

Thanks folks, I'll check it all out. Let you know what I go with.
-ET

41 - 60 of 82 Posts