Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2008 SC.

I'm not a big car audio guy, so I don't know which brands I should be looking at and who makes the best stuff. I looked at both Alpine and Pioneer units and the Pioneers seem to be a bit nicer and more all-inclusive from what I see.

Pioneer AVIC-F90BT

I'm leaning toward the Pioneer because the map data is contained on flash memory, so it should be faster than both DVD units and HDD units. It also has voice recognition for dialing and selecting music. It will also import my iPhone contact list.

I went from an Acura TL NAV to this. The Acura NAV was OK for a 2004, but not being able to import your phone book was brutal.

What I'm looking for:
-Integrate steering wheel controls if possible.
-Seamless iPhone 3G integration that will import my phone book.
-Bluetooth phone when it isn't physically plugged in.
-In dash touch screen style.
-Reverse camera.
-Can I integrate my existing antenna for FM and XM?
-Replace stock speakers and subwoofer with better speakers and an amp that won't require an extra battery or alternator work.
-Any speaker work should appear as close to stock as possible. No insane build ups or orange painted fiberglass stuff. No amps strapped to the backs of my seats and whatnot. Ideally, the only think you'll see is that the in-dash screen is new.

The stock audio setup in the SC basically sucks and doesn't reproduce the bass and clarity that I get from my stock 2004 Acura system even.

I'm also tempted to do some Dynamat under the door panels and along the floor and possibly under the headliner. I get a lot of road noise and I'm used to my Acura being fairly quiet.

If anyone has any input, I'd like to hear it.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
i really like my avic D3.
the ipod interface is not great, tho.
i have heard that the F series has some problems.
go to avic411.com for all the info.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I have the older D3 in my E and my wife had the new F series in her Escape. The F series boots much slower than my D3, it gives a little more info on the NAV. Her F series is ok but I prefer my D3. Drew:)

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
What I'm looking for:
-Integrate steering wheel controls if possible.
Possible with PAC adapter http://www.crutchfield.com/app/prod...b=Shop&us=2&search=steering+control&x=11&y=10

I'm not sure about this one

-Bluetooth phone when it isn't physically plugged in.
No problem

-In dash touch screen style.
No problem

-Reverse camera.
No problem

-Can I integrate my existing antenna for FM and XM?
The antenna will work but you will need a satellite tuner...the OEM unit in not compatible with AM radios

-Replace stock speakers and subwoofer with better speakers and an amp that won't require an extra battery or alternator work.
No problem

-Any speaker work should appear as close to stock as possible. No insane build ups or orange painted fiberglass stuff. No amps strapped to the backs of my seats and whatnot. Ideally, the only think you'll see is that the in-dash screen is new.
Your installer will have to get creative on where to mount the amp. It won't fit in the factory location and there's not much room under the front seats.

I'm also tempted to do some Dynamat under the door panels and along the floor and possibly under the headliner. I get a lot of road noise and I'm used to my Acura being fairly quiet.
I just did my doors and spare tire well and noticed a little difference, but I think the biggest differnce will be when I pull the panels and do the wheel wells.

If anyone has any input, I'd like to hear it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm not sure about this one

I have the Kenwood DNX6140 in my Element which has the builtin Bluetooth. Works with my iPhone 3G perfectly. While it doesn't IMPORT phone numbers from your address book, you can still access the phone book through the phone menu and choose the phone numbers.

My brother has the Kenwood DNX5120 in his Honda Ridgeline. He added the external bluetooth addon, and it works the same way.

Hope that helps a little,
AL

·
Registered
575 Posts
Kenwood DNX 8120

Just had it installed. It does everything well and I love it. It's not cheap but worth the $ imo.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am not trying to jack OP thread but I have a question for people who own In dash NAV unit, how do u update the map or can it be updated; i know compact gps like nuvi or tomtom u can update the map thru your computer... sorry n00b question since I never have one before..

thanks for the reply

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I have the older D3 in my E and my wife had the new F series in her Escape. The F series boots much slower than my D3, it gives a little more info on the NAV. Her F series is ok but I prefer my D3. Drew:)
Exactly. I am really happy with my D3. Another So Cal member has the F series. It is slow compared to the D3.

I am not trying to jack OP thread but I have a question for people who own In dash NAV unit, how do u update the map or can it be updated; i know compact gps like nuvi or tomtom u can update the map thru your computer... sorry n00b question since I never have one before..

thanks for the reply
You can get new maps by purchasing them or downloading them.

·
Registered
575 Posts

thanks for the reply
They update by cd or a memory card slot on the ones I have looked at.

·
Registered
36 Posts

thanks for the reply
On Kenwoods site, they have a section on their support page that offers updates and map updates from Garmin, you just burn it to a CD, put in in the NAV Unit and it updates itself.

AL

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the Kenwood DNX6140 in my Element which has the builtin Bluetooth. Works with my iPhone 3G perfectly. While it doesn't IMPORT phone numbers from your address book, you can still access the phone book through the phone menu and choose the phone numbers.
Does it show the names? When you get an incoming call does it show the name you have in your phone?

My other beef with the Acura NAV is that I get a call and I just see a random number pop up. It really sucks.

Thanks for the input so far though, I'll have to look at what Kenwood has to offer.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Does it show the names? When you get an incoming call does it show the name you have in your phone?

My other beef with the Acura NAV is that I get a call and I just see a random number pop up. It really sucks.

Thanks for the input so far though, I'll have to look at what Kenwood has to offer.
My 8120 shows the name on the screen when someone calls thats in my phone. The Ipod intigration is awesome with total control of playlists etc. The bluetooth is seamless and the screen is amazing. Very happy with this unit so far. I looked at Alpine as well but liked the Kenwood better. The reviews and comparisons I read confirmed my decision. Just my .02

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 8120 shows the name on the screen when someone calls thats in my phone. The Ipod intigration is awesome with total control of playlists etc. The bluetooth is seamless and the screen is amazing. Very happy with this unit so far. I looked at Alpine as well but liked the Kenwood better. The reviews and comparisons I read confirmed my decision. Just my .02
On my DNX6140 it doesn't show the name just the number. But I don't know if that's because of the limitation of the iPhone or the Unit itself.

ElementaryED - What type of phone are you using with your DNX8120? Is it an iPhone also? Or is it a different type of phone?

AL

·
Registered
4 Posts
GO KENWOOD , Pioneer is a price point piece, still some hickups. You really do get what you pay for when it comes to the pioneer f series!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
GO KENWOOD , Pioneer is a price point piece, still some hickups. You really do get what you pay for when it comes to the pioneer f series!!!
I agree. Definitely go with Kenwood! :) And I'm not showing favoritism at all. But I love my system...

·
Registered
575 Posts
I use a Blackberry phone.

·
Registered
616 Posts
If you go to Crutchfield you will see a lot of reviews complaining about the slowness of the F series. I put my plans on hold when I was looking at those units.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Interesting to see the Kenwood mentioned.

Wayyyy back in the late 80's/early 90s when I did my big time car audio setup (yeah well, you'll be old one day, too), I went with Kenwood pieces across the board and it performed in stellar fashion. THis was before the MOSFET technology hit the market for amps. I had 3 amps, four 3 way speakers, a 12" woofer (MTX, not a Kenwood), and Kenwood HU and seperate equalizer units. It was an awesome and well balanced system.

So how does Kenwood rank these days? I know, matter of opinion but back in the day it was the one setting the bar for a while.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts