Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to change the look of the inside by getting things that you would never think to see in a element, so i want to get some racing style theme seats, something with some better lumbar back support, need ideas or pictures. going to order them as early as tuesday of this next week.

Heres one example at a show, but its not even a bit close to what im looking for, for my Element

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
screw the seats tell me how to find all that carbon fiber!

lol jk. i saw a gold E that had bride apholstery done. looked really nice and completely changed the look of the stock seats. im sure if you take your car to an apholstery shop, they could modify the foam to give it a more sporty look. or id go with some civic Si seats

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah

ill have to find a shop here in GA then, i love the new civic SI seats, thats what i want something like in mind. i wonder if those seats would work in the element

·
Registered
360 Posts
sleek_SC said:
ill have to find a shop here in GA then, i love the new civic SI seats, thats what i want something like in mind. i wonder if those seats would work in the element
anything can be done. there's no limits. a custom seat mount may have to be fabricated, but if you do it yourself, it will barely cost anything(given you have the right tools). If they could put those insane racing seats in the A&L element, you could put some factory honda seats in one. id look around in the scrapyards for a pair. the 05' si came with the same seats and they'll most likely be cheaper

·
Registered
284 Posts
Racing seats for street use can cause big problems if you are in an accident. The race seat is designed for occupant to be wearing a helmet and provides neck and head support based on that. If you are rear ended especailly the race seat will not provide proper support to neck and head and can cause or magnify the injuries your suffer. Same holds true if you hit something with the front of your E at speeds above about 40mph.

Your friends can tell everyone you died from the same brain injury the killed Dale E. Sr. And you dont have to exceed a 100mph to do it. And no the front air bags wont save you. There is just enough expansion in the front seat belts to do the job.

But WTF if you want your brain bouncing off the front and back of your skull go for it.

And for later model E's you have the problem of side air bags.

Both Sparco and Recaro offer non race seats which are very supportive for street cars.

Fred

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The Civic Si is factory-equipped with Recaro reclining seats; they're not race seats, but are styled in much the same way, and so they give you some of the "benefits" of race seats; i.e., better bolsters, so you don't slide around in your seat so much, etc. Many of the higher-end factory "sports package" cars, such as Mitsubishi Lancer Evolutions, Mazda RX-8s, Civic Si, and some higher-end Toyotas and Nissans are equipped with these seats.

As for Fred's comment, he's right; true race seats are designed for use with a helmet and helmet restraint to keep you from snapping your neck in a collision. However, not all race seats, or race-style seats, will do that.

If you were looking for reclinable, good quality seats, I'd suggest looking for something such as a Corbeau, Sparco, Recaro, or Bride setup. They'll be expensive (Corbeaus: $350 all the way to Brides @ $1500+) but well worth the money, especially considering the safety factor.

Also, I'm not sure about GA, but just as a precaution, you may want to check with your local DMZ about seatbelts. I'm not sure if you were considering four-point harnesses (they are legal in MS), but I believe that the consensus is that they're illegal just about everywhere for street use.

One last thing: If you're wanting comfort, just know that racing seats won't be as comfortable as your factory seats. You'll eventually get used to them, and if you're anything like me, you won't care if they're uncomfortable or not, but just know that they're not going to be as comfortable.

'Course, you may already know all that...but oh well. Never hurts to say it, I guess.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Grannysmuncher said:
The Civic Si is factory-equipped with Recaro reclining seats; they're not race seats, but are styled in much the same way, and so they give you some of the "benefits" of race seats; i.e., better bolsters, so you don't slide around in your seat so much, etc. Many of the higher-end factory "sports package" cars, such as Mitsubishi Lancer Evolutions, Mazda RX-8s, Civic Si, and some higher-end Toyotas and Nissans are equipped with these seats.

As for Fred's comment, he's right; true race seats are designed for use with a helmet and helmet restraint to keep you from snapping your neck in a collision. However, not all race seats, or race-style seats, will do that.

If you were looking for reclinable, good quality seats, I'd suggest looking for something such as a Corbeau, Sparco, Recaro, or Bride setup. They'll be expensive (Corbeaus: $350 all the way to Brides @ $1500+) but well worth the money, especially considering the safety factor.

Also, I'm not sure about GA, but just as a precaution, you may want to check with your local DMZ about seatbelts. I'm not sure if you were considering four-point harnesses (they are legal in MS), but I believe that the consensus is that they're illegal just about everywhere for street use.

One last thing: If you're wanting comfort, just know that racing seats won't be as comfortable as your factory seats. You'll eventually get used to them, and if you're anything like me, you won't care if they're uncomfortable or not, but just know that they're not going to be as comfortable.

'Course, you may already know all that...but oh well. Never hurts to say it, I guess.
4pt harnesses can be dangerous. Without a sub belt to keep the lap belt correctly positioned they can cause soft tissue injuries when the belt rides up off the hips in a collision. Also the shoulder belts can slip off. Then you have to be concerned about the angle the shoulder belts are mounted at especially if they are mounted down low and not at the height off the cross bar from a roll bar or cage. Wrong mounting angle for shoulder belts can cause nasty compression fractures in your back and neck. And most harness bars are worthless since they cant withstand the gorces in a crash and collapse or crumple. Also with shoulder harnesses and no roll bar or cage you risk using your head, neck and spine as the means to hold up the roof in a rollover. No rollbar or cage w/ 4pt, 5pt ot 6pt harness means in a rollover you dont slide over and your head now acts to support the roof. And many cars. SUVs and trucks dont have the roof structure to keep the roof from collapsing. NHTSA doesnt require it yet.

Use the stock belts or a belt system that uses the stock mounts.

Fred

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thinking of something like this

but im not sure, on the color

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
With that though, you won 't see over the dash. You need some kind of jeep race seat, that will have a high base

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
fredmertz said:
SUVs and trucks dont have the roof structure to keep the roof from collapsing.
Fred
I beg to differ, my friend. The Element below seems to have supported itself on the roof perfectly well. Modern vehicles have to pass certain rollover crash-worthiness criteria, unlike older vehicles, and most, if not all vehicles are relatively safe in rollovers.

As to four-point harnesses, a properly installed set of harnesses are far more safe than a simple three-point system, or the FAA would be having them installed in aircraft to this day! A five-point harness system would be ideal when installed correctly, but given the nature of the vehicle, that'd be overkill, IMHO.

All four point harnesses have detailed instructions that specifically point out the angle at which the harnesses are to be installed, so if they're installed incorrectly, the danger is not the harness/manufacturer's fault, but rather the installer/operator.

Also, I very much doubt that all harness bars are as dangerous as you say. I could understand if it were merely tack-welded on, but I do know that the NHRA requires fully welded joints, as well as bracing. They even give detailed instructions as to how to properly construct a harness/roll bar with pipe dimensions and material.

Properly constructed, a roll bar or harness bar, along with a properly installed 4-point harness system can and does increase your safety in the event of an accident, otherwise they would still be using stock 3-point belts in racing.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Grannysmuncher said:
I beg to differ, my friend. The Element below seems to have supported itself on the roof perfectly well. Modern vehicles have to pass certain rollover crash-worthiness criteria, unlike older vehicles, and most, if not all vehicles are relatively safe in rollovers.

As to four-point harnesses, a properly installed set of harnesses are far more safe than a simple three-point system, or the FAA would be having them installed in aircraft to this day! A five-point harness system would be ideal when installed correctly, but given the nature of the vehicle, that'd be overkill, IMHO.

All four point harnesses have detailed instructions that specifically point out the angle at which the harnesses are to be installed, so if they're installed incorrectly, the danger is not the harness/manufacturer's fault, but rather the installer/operator.

Also, I very much doubt that all harness bars are as dangerous as you say. I could understand if it were merely tack-welded on, but I do know that the NHRA requires fully welded joints, as well as bracing. They even give detailed instructions as to how to properly construct a harness/roll bar with pipe dimensions and material.

Properly constructed, a roll bar or harness bar, along with a properly installed 4-point harness system can and does increase your safety in the event of an accident, otherwise they would still be using stock 3-point belts in racing.

Sir,

First either quote me completely or do not ever use partial quotes when responding to one of my post.

Sorry even a properely installed 4pt harness will ride up and cause soft tissue
injuries since neither the seat or the sub belt is preventing it. You do realize in an accident seatbelts or racing harnesses can stretch approx 3-4inches. And remember a lap belt for a 4pt system is usually significantly wider than than the stock belts. Also 4pt belts have tendency to slip off the shoulders.

And the NHRA is drag racing in straight line. They manage their risk for amateur racing with cars running certain times by setting the safety bar very very low. For a great majority of the cars the OEM safety equipment and a helmet is all you need.

Have you ever built a race car or crewed on a race car at level beyond amteur drag racing? Or run or instructed at a High Performance Drivers School(HPDE)?

And sorry sir the roof structures of most cars, trucks and SUVs is marginal which is why IIHS and others have been trying for years to to mandate tougher laws for roof structures. Even some German made sports sedans and GT cars roofs are marginal in rollovers especially on the track. I have witneesed enough of them and Jpanese manufacturers are even worse.

I have been the first responder several times at incidents at HPDEs where the student had a harness bar(one of the best ones) and it collpased and crumbled. Again with drag racing with amateurs you are driving in straight line, there arent several other cars on the track and you are only running for 1/8 to a 1/4 mile big difference from a 2, 3 or 4 mile road course. A harness bar runs between th B Pillars and may or may not be triangulated to the floor.
And there is a big difference between a harness bar and a roll cage.

And bubba an airplane is not a car. Physics of the accident are way different. You need to compare apples to apples.

Suggest you read Motorsports Medicine and other books on the subject.

And remember accidents on the street are going to be similar to accidents on a road course not on a drag strip.

Amateur drag racing is a whole lot safer than driving a car on a road course or on the street.

If 3pts belts didnt do a good job the highway death toll would be in 6 figures.
And if more folks buckled up you could cut it by half. Instead of airbags NHTSA should mandate full fixed race seats, 6 pt belts and a full cage.

FRed

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah after realizing how stupid racing seats would look like in the element, with out some form of turbo charger, which would run me 4199, ive decided to invest in a alarm system and TV out the whole ride. Getting 4 head rest tvs installed, 2 visor tvs, and one rear view mirror, not all at once, but at least most of it before nopi comes to Atlanta in September.

·
Registered
41 Posts
sleek_SC said:
yeah after realizing how stupid racing seats would look like in the element, with out some form of turbo charger, which would run me 4199, ive decided to invest in a alarm system and TV out the whole ride. Getting 4 head rest tvs installed, 2 visor tvs, and one rear view mirror, not all at once, but at least most of it before nopi comes to Atlanta in September.

that sounds like a wiser plan.

·
Registered
20 Posts
new seats

sleek_SC said:
i want to change the look of the inside by getting things that you would never think to see in a element, so i want to get some racing style theme seats, something with some better lumbar back support, need ideas or pictures. going to order them as early as tuesday of this next week.

Heres one example at a show, but its not even a bit close to what im looking for, for my Element

Go to www.corbeau.com

I just purchased a new drivers seat and frame to put im my element because on long trips, my back and legs were kiling me. Put the seat in about a month ago, I wish I would have done it sooner.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Go to www.corbeau.com

I just purchased a new drivers seat and frame to put im my element because on long trips, my back and legs were kiling me. Put the seat in about a month ago, I wish I would have done it sooner.
what make was the seat bracket? does it slide the same way the stock seat slides forwad? Links would be helpful........ I have about 8 recaros in storage & need a bracket to install them in the E, but I'd like to be able to retain all stock seat movement....... Pat

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sir,

First either quote me completely or do not ever use partial quotes when responding to one of my post.

Sorry even a properely installed 4pt harness will ride up and cause soft tissue
injuries since neither the seat or the sub belt is preventing it. You do realize in an accident seatbelts or racing harnesses can stretch approx 3-4inches. And remember a lap belt for a 4pt system is usually significantly wider than than the stock belts. Also 4pt belts have tendency to slip off the shoulders.

And the NHRA is drag racing in straight line. They manage their risk for amateur racing with cars running certain times by setting the safety bar very very low. For a great majority of the cars the OEM safety equipment and a helmet is all you need.

Have you ever built a race car or crewed on a race car at level beyond amteur drag racing? Or run or instructed at a High Performance Drivers School(HPDE)?

And sorry sir the roof structures of most cars, trucks and SUVs is marginal which is why IIHS and others have been trying for years to to mandate tougher laws for roof structures. Even some German made sports sedans and GT cars roofs are marginal in rollovers especially on the track. I have witneesed enough of them and Jpanese manufacturers are even worse.

I have been the first responder several times at incidents at HPDEs where the student had a harness bar(one of the best ones) and it collpased and crumbled. Again with drag racing with amateurs you are driving in straight line, there arent several other cars on the track and you are only running for 1/8 to a 1/4 mile big difference from a 2, 3 or 4 mile road course. A harness bar runs between th B Pillars and may or may not be triangulated to the floor.
And there is a big difference between a harness bar and a roll cage.

And bubba an airplane is not a car. Physics of the accident are way different. You need to compare apples to apples.

Suggest you read Motorsports Medicine and other books on the subject.

And remember accidents on the street are going to be similar to accidents on a road course not on a drag strip.

Amateur drag racing is a whole lot safer than driving a car on a road course or on the street.

If 3pts belts didnt do a good job the highway death toll would be in 6 figures.
And if more folks buckled up you could cut it by half. Instead of airbags NHTSA should mandate full fixed race seats, 6 pt belts and a full cage.

FRed

Fred, you dont want to have STREET cars with full cages.
fixed seats-numerous points still wont protect your head from banging the roll cage. All it takes is ONE bump of the head on a roll cage to turn your brain to mush.

The best solution is for people to just buckle their belts.

Now if we all go around wearing neck/back supports/helmets/restraints etc etc etc-I guess then a full cage would be a good idea.

·
Registered
102 Posts
what make was the seat bracket? does it slide the same way the stock seat slides forwad? Links would be helpful........ I have about 8 recaros in storage & need a bracket to install them in the E, but I'd like to be able to retain all stock seat movement....... Pat
Have you checked Wedge Engineering (Long Beach CA)? They specialize in aftermarket seat mounts / bases. I believe they now have a model for Elements.

·
Registered
2004 SOP EX/AWD/MT
273 Posts
new seats
Go to www.corbeau.com

I know this post is a bit dated, but would be interested in pics of your seat installed.
How about a long-term review?

Thinking of upgrading the seats in our E :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts