Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a subaru technician but I'm tired of looking at them at work and driving them home so I'm looking for a good Honda Element. Ive found an 03 with 219000 miles and I'm curious about what to look out for on that year with that kind of mileage. What are some common problems? Should I be too worried about the mileage? Thank you!

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
it's not the mileage, it's the life it has led.
we bought our 2nd Element with about 205K miles from the original owner, who is a member of this forum and had done all the maintenance. it now has about 245K miles and we've replaced the knock sensor, the head unit (because we wanted more features), the tires, the windshield wiper blades, the engine oil, the filters (air, oil, cabin), the battery and that's about it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have an 03 with 93k miles on it. I've had very few problems - lately an unknown electrical issue that seems to drain the battery. Gaskets and hoses need to be changed. Otherwise, it's been great. Regular maintenance and it's been fine. I love it.

About to list it for sale only because we wanted a car with more safety features for hauling our kids around.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Trevor , As you know, a lot of used car buy's are the luck of the draw. You, being a mechanic know first hand what to look for. If the E has it's service records, that's gold. Does the car look good for it time? Does it drive well? Sometimes these are the only indications we have as to the cars history. I guess you could also do a CarFax to make sure it wasn't in ten feet of water.Go luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was just looking at the 'how many miles' forum and am sure there are several E's on the road with over 200k now... Is anyone on here over 300k? would love to hear about it or see pics :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Made an account to reply! I just got my 2003 element and it has 211000 on it. I would recommend driving the one your interested in and going to drive another. I drove a few and I could clearly tell the difference between ones taken care of and not. Listen for a wine! If it wines/whistles the AWD is going out! I took mine in to bumpy alleys to make sure foundation is good.

I did have to have the inner oil filters changed but this is a common honda issue but I didnt worry about that. Paid for a look over and the report said front brakes and that was it. So far extremely happy with it and excited to see if i can put another 200 on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm a subaru technician but I'm tired of looking at them at work and driving them home so I'm looking for a good Honda Element. Ive found an 03 with tweakbox appvalley https://vlc.onl/ 219000 miles and I'm curious about what to look out for on that year with that kind of mileage. What are some common problems? Should I be too worried about the mileage? Thank you!

my isue got solved!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Due to budget and the extremely poor selection of used cars in my area, i ended up with an Element with 224k on it. I dont think the previous owner was very diligent in maintaining it. For example, the wiper blades, front and rear, were extremely old and cracked. They didnt wipe very well at all. I dont understand how someone could just keep driving it like that.

There were a few other indications of neglect, but I dont think it was treated too poorly. Recently, my VTEC solenoid failed, which I'm told is a sign of ignored oil changes. The oil was clean when I bought it, but I'm sure the dealer did that. I have since changed the oil to Motorcraft 5W20 with a Motorcraft filter, and it seems as though the engine is a bit quieter. That may be just my imagination, but I have used Motorcraft oil/filters on all my vehicles in the past and have had no issues.

I have had to replace a sticky rear brake caliper, the headlight switch (caused intermittent high beam function), and it's in the shop now for CV axles, VTEC solenoid replacement, O2 sensors and the manual transmission fluid to be changed. I also had the plug on the back of the instrument cluster to give me problems, and I've found other people online who had the same issue.

The Honda dealer replaced my passenger airbag under recall, and the driver's seatbelt buckle under Honda's lifetime warranty.

Normally, I would do most of that (obviously aside from the airbag, etc) myself, however I don't have a level place (or a solid surface) to safely jack up the front to do both CV axles, and I was unable to get a bolt out of the VTEC solenoid or the fill plug on the transmission, so I decided to let the shop struggle with that. Lol

Basically, these are good vehicles, but normal stuff does go wrong. In all of the research I've done on this forum and elsewhere, I cant find any major issues that are very common on these (like head gasket failures on some Subarus, as I'm sure you know).

The AWD system, from what I understand, is not as good as Subaru's system. But, it functions well enough from what I've read.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
JohnTaurus
Honda Element Owners Club
Element Owners Club is your go to forum community to discuss your Honda Element, and get ideas from your next great trip to your next Honda Element Mod.
Full Forum Listing