Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My fiancée and I have wanted one forever and we think we may've found the one.
It's a private sale in SoCal and I'm curious on what you experts think of the deal.

It's a 2009 Element EX with 130,000 miles. They're asking $9,250.

Looks great inside and out, however, our pre-purchase inspection brought up a few issues/recommendations with a total of $1,766:
-V-Tec tensioner leaks oil - $346
-Valve cover Gasket leaks oil - $135
-Rear shocks are leaking - $675
-Rear tires are dry and cracked - $370
-Recommended coolant flush - $130
-Transmission fuild replacement - $110

It looks like the KBB value based on all options and mileage is around $6,400 for a private sale, but to be honest that seems pretty low compared to other prices around here. Maybe I'm nuts.

What do you guys think? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
79 Posts

I’d walk from that one with all that stuff to be done. There this one in La Mesa but it’s an LX.

If you have to have the newest style, I’d keep looking for a 2010/11 with less miles and less work to be done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I’d walk from that one with all that stuff to be done. There this one in La Mesa but it’s an LX.

If you have to have the newest style, I’d keep looking for a 2010/11 with less miles and less work to be done.

Thanks for the help! I meant to mention the model we're looking at is the EX with premium nav/reverse camera. Does this change things?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Go to cars.com or cargurus.com. You may have to move around to find the right one but be careful of the northern cars where rust may or may not be an issue.

You definitely will want an EX if you want those features but 2009-11 are all pretty similar I think.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alrighty. Do you think I should snag the original one I posted about if he took care of all those issues and I got it down to $7,000?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Only you can answer that. At 130,000 miles it should be all about : a. Where has it lived and b. Has it been taken care of.

If car has been taken care of, it’s “middle aged” at this point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's a private sale in SoCal and I'm curious on what you experts think of the deal.

Looks great inside and out, however, our pre-purchase inspection brought up a few issues/recommendations with a total of $1,766:

It looks like the KBB value based on all options and mileage is around $6,400 for a private sale, but to be honest that seems pretty low compared to other prices around here. Maybe I'm nuts.

I have an orange 2010 with under 77000 miles listed on Spokane Craigslist

·
Registered
27 Posts

That's a lot of work there for that asking price. Judging by that list, it seems the owner hasn't been very good at keeping up the maintenance. We have a 2006 EX-P just under 90K miles; followed maintenance by the book and replaced parts nearing end of life consistently. All she needs are new tires right now. I'd look for a better deal.

Edit: Forgot to add, ours is not for sale. Sorry.;)

·
Registered
2 Posts

Just an FYI that I'm selling mine in NJ for $13,500. 2009 Silver EX AWD with 63K miles. Will be on central NJ Craigslist this weekend. 2nd owner, no kids, no pets no smoking. never even went camping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks like to me this vehicle has been poorly maintained. I would pass on this one.
I think that's the right call to pass on it. Like others stated, this doesn't seem like it was very well maintained. Even if all those fixes were completed, there will likely be others that pop up soon. I sold my first Element at 110K and it had zero problems. Keep looking; it may take a little longer, but it'll be worth it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'll sell you mine if you come up to the SF Bay Area!

09 EX, no cameras but dashcam, recently bought new tired, replaced both fans and regular records for oil changes/rotations etc.

Looking to upgrade to a hybrid for new university commuting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts