Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The OEM radio in my vehicle gave out, so I'm looking to get it replaced with an aftermarket. I found one that might work, but I'm unsure as to whether it'll be an easy install or if it'll require a lot of fiddling around. I'm looking to put it in a 2005 EX.
This is the part I'm looking at: Kenwood Excelon DPX795BH

I have no clue what the output levels are on the OEM radio and I want to make sure that the sound is still decent with the replacement. I'm not looking to replace the speakers or amp that are already in there. There's another similar part that has a pre-out of 2.5 volts instead of 5, but I would assume that the higher one would be better?

·
Registered
379 Posts
That one will work fine but if you want to keep your steering wheel controls you need the adaptor. On that site, if you just put in your vehicle it will give you a list of all the parts you need. The pre-out V is irrelavent since thats just the RCA outputs and the factory amp is line level (runs off the speaker outouts)

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element
36 Posts
That one will work fine but if you want to keep your steering wheel controls you need the adaptor. On that site, if you just put in your vehicle it will give you a list of all the parts you need. The pre-out V is irrelavent since thats just the RCA outputs and the factory amp is line level (runs off the speaker outouts)
Wait, replacing the radio affects the cruise control?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Kenwood Excelon line is good stuff, I have some excelon speakers and a non Excelon Kenwood head unit, sounds great together, definitely better than stock and not hard to install with the right harness adapter.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I recently replaced my OEM head unit with a BOSS BE950WCPA.

The reason why I chose it: Features & Price. The head unit was purchased from Crutchfield, so I will have some support (compared to cheap units on eBay) and the real feature that I was looking for was handsfree Android. It checked all teh boxes.

The only thing that was complicated: the radio bezel for that unit stuck out of the dash too much. So, there was some custom work with a Dremel to make it fit the way that I wanted, but for what I wanted, it was a good deal. (And yes, it will do steering wheel controls. It's wired for it.)

price was right around $400 when I got it earlier this year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The OEM radio in my vehicle gave out, so I'm looking to get it replaced with an aftermarket. I found one that might work, but I'm unsure as to whether it'll be an easy install or if it'll require a lot of fiddling around. I'm looking to put it in a 2005 EX.
This is the part I'm looking at: Kenwood Excelon DPX795BH

I have no clue what the output levels are on the OEM radio and I want to make sure that the sound is still decent with the replacement. I'm not looking to replace the speakers or amp that are already in there. There's another similar part that has a pre-out of 2.5 volts instead of 5, but I would assume that the higher one would be better?
Might I suggest something with a backup camera

·
Registered
2008 Element SC
4 Posts
I replaced the OEM unit in my 08 SC with the Alpine iLX-W650. It's Apple and Android ready, you can add a back up camera too. I use CarPlay all the time. I didn't connect the steering wheel controls though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
08 has steering wheel controls. The headunit I bought doesn't retain this functionality (I don't know if newer head units attempt to support this or not, but I think most DO NOT).

There are two ways I know of to retain the functionality.

Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Interface

This is what I used. It works. Very basic functionality but being able to adjust the volume and change (advance) the playlist is worth it.
If I recall correctly, you have to splice 4 wires (reason being, the "aftermarket wiring harness" adapter thing doesn't include the SWC wires, leaving no option but to splice the factory wires)

iDatalink Maestro SW Steering Wheel Control Adapter

I believe this is a more modern product but It might be harder to set up. I'm not 100% sure its compatible.

Anyway, the head-unit upgrade was the best money I ever spent on the Element. It was about $300 for the head unit, SWC controller and wiring harness. To get that perfect integration with maps and bluetooth... priceless!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts