TV
FiOS
DirecTV

Phone
Verizon
Vonage
ViaTalk
Any others?

I will be getting Verizon FiOS for the internet. I've been comparing between DirecTV and Verizon FiOS to compare their prices. I've looked at the Verizon bundles for TV/Internet and just tossed in phone. For phone they are more expensive than Vonage or ViaTalk, but are they worth the added cost? This where all of you come into play. For those with Vonage or ViaTalk, are you happy with the quality, service, customer service, price, etc.

The same thing applies to your TV service for both HD and SD. For those with FiOS, how is their Picture Quality? How is the DVR Service?

I have had DirecTV for years and will switch if I am getting something better. I don't currently have DirecTV HD, but will be getting HD in the new house.

Thanks for any and all input that is relevant to the topic at hand. :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
773 Posts
The one thing I think you need to watch carefully for the VoIP phones is the registry. By that I mean what is the address displayed at your local (and sometimes not so local) 911 center if you should ever have to call for help someday. In my line of work, I have had a little experience with Vonage owners calling 911, and it can complicate an emergency situation to have iaccurate location info provided due to the VoIP issue.

Read this:
http://www.apco911.org/new/commcenter911/downloads/VoIP_flavors.pdf

Just a thought - and congrats on the new house!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have Vonage. I use it only for long distance. I would not recommend it as a primary home phone system as the technical support is very hit or miss depending what continent your support call lands in. I sent back a defective VOIP modem in July. They still send me a prepaid UPS autorization every two or three days. I have called them about it, but they keep coming. I think I might start picking up random things from the yard and shipping them to Vonage. This might also be a good way to clean out my garage.

"Honey the milk has gone sour"......"Don't worry, I'll ship to Vonage".

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hello almost neighbor, we had cablevision, did the FIOS switch and HATED it. They have the absolute worst customer service, so not worth anything they offer. We have cable again for all 3. Cablevision here has the 911 thing worked out here. I made sure ours is correct, you can always call 911 too and do a verification. But that's just us. I'm sure there are others out there who might have more insight on the other services. And congrats finally!

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello almost neighbor, we had cablevision, did the FIOS switch and HATED it. They have the absolute worst customer service, so not worth anything they offer. We have cable again for all 3. Cablevision here has the 911 thing worked out here. I made sure ours is correct, you can always call 911 too and do a verification. But that's just us. I'm sure there are others out there who might have more insight on the other services. And congrats finally!
Cablevision isn't even an option with me. I can't stand the company or the family that owns it. I am thrilled to finally be able to get rid of OptOnline and be done paying them money.

As to the 911 service, not worried about it in the least to be honest. Where I live now there isn't any 911 service. It has never been an issue in the 38+ years that I have lived in this city. The times that we have needed the Police, Fire or Ambulance we just dialed them directly.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
859 Posts
this might be a good time to ask whether you need a home phone at all. most of my family and all of my friends have ditched home phones and just use their cells. for tv, ive had directv in the past and theyve been great, just a little expensive. if your getting HD i would deffinatly go with direcTV.

·
Registered
140 Posts
That's why we switched to fios originally, but hated them even more. I can understand that. Where did you live before that there was no 911? An inc. village in one of the counties? And as for 911, as long as someone can clearly state an address or location, there is a good excuse to not have a home phone. We don't even use ours lol.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
In this area we are waiting for Fios. We have relatives that have it, and the picture quality is outstanding! I have Dish now, I like it more than direct. Cable is the worst in this area, so it's out of the question. I will no doubt go with all Verizon FIOS when it becomes available here.
As for vonage The quality was iffy. I don't make that many overseas calls so it was not of much benefit as it could be for some.

I use the Verizon cell phone for long distance in the Us and the Islands. Cell to cell is free! So the house phone gets used for local/fax calls.

Dom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts