Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I towed this beast for a short trip...about 50 miles through some twisty roads and some highway with no issues...looking for a vintage camper now...like a Shasta or a boler...what would be a good camper to look for I've got a family of 4 :)

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
I towed this beast for a short trip...about 50 miles through some twisty roads and some highway with no issues...looking for a vintage camper now...like a Shasta or a boler...what would be a good camper to look for I've got a family of 4 :)
I'll be following this thread. I've been looking for a camper that meets the weight requirements and all I have found so far is a tent. They are all just to heavy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like an old Boler meets the weight....but I was also looking at some vintage campers like a Shasta??...any thoughts??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Shastas are ok, you'll be really camped with a family of four. I'd get something smaller and put the kids outside in a tent. ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a plan :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
I had a small popup, but didn't really like it. It was a little over the weight limit when loaded, but the Element pulled it fine. They are a lot of trouble setting up. It always rains just before you are ready to pack it up and then you have to either wait for it to dry, or take it home, set it up again and let it dry out. Mattresses are usually thin and not comfortable to sleep on. You have to get down on your knees to get in the fridge, and so on. If you're thinking about getting one, rent or borrow one before you buy. You might save yourself a lot of money.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I've had this dream for years of an easily removable pop-up top that fits on top of my 14' Jon boat and turns it into something like a teardrop.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a small popup, but didn't really like it. It was a little over the weight limit when loaded, but the Element pulled it fine. They are a lot of trouble setting up. It always rains just before you are ready to pack it up and then you have to either wait for it to dry, or take it home, set it up again and let it dry out. Mattresses are usually thin and not comfortable to sleep on. You have to get down on your knees to get in the fridge, and so on. If you're thinking about getting one, rent or borrow one before you buy. You might save yourself a lot of money.

[/QUOTE

Thanks a lot...we've been looking at the Scamp or the Boler...I found a really cool retro 1972 Shasta Flyte...but it's over 1500lbs dry...I like the idea about borrowing or renting a pop up to see...I've heard the cables and canvas can cause problems...

·
Registered
777 Posts
Aspen tent trailer. Sleeps 4 comfortably and towable with a motorcycle at ~300 lbs dry.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
The type of pop-up cited by <buttermilk> appeared in several of my recent month-long campground trip locations. Most recently I encountered one which a single mom erected in under five minutes without any help. She also put it away in a similar timeframe. She was rather petite and towed it behind a Toyota Rav4 istr. Only "notable" -- her two kids and one large dog had very little "stuff" in their car and since you can't store much in the pop-up when it's deflated, she kept her overall weight low.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The only lightweight Shasta is the tiny 10' long lil loafer and it is not suitable for a family of 4. Only the shortest of the Boler's could be pulled by an Ecar. You have a lot of people and gear and that has to be calculated into the load.

You might look for a Compact II or Compact Junior or a Trails West Campster. Sleep the kids in the Honda and parents in the trailer. Much bigger bed in those trailers and they don't weigh as much as the egg campers. You won't have full standing head room at the dinette but you sit down there anyway. They do have a popup roof over the kitchen area but you will still have to duck coming into the door or you will whack your skull. They do have nice large windows so they are not overly claustrophobic to be inside of. Oh and plan on taking along a toilet/shower tent for middle of the night use for the kids.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Your boat looks just like mine did a month ago before a storm knocked a big oak tree down right across the middle. Now I've got a banana boat. Darned insurance refusing to pay for it because they cancelled my rider a few years ago "to save me some money" on my homeowners insurance and didn't even tell me. Also cancelled coverage on my roof and storm damage.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well my plans for finding a camper for the E and my family of 4 has changed since then.....baby #3 is showing up the first of June....might have to look at....sigh...getting rid of the Toaster :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts