Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I put my E up on 4 jacks yesterday to test the AWD, and it passed the test. {driveshart turned 3-4 times in 10 seconds].

After that, I crawled under there to check all the u-joints and the driveshafts and when I manually moved the rear wheel forward and back the differential moved a lot, up and down. So I have to get the mounts/dampers and replace them.

BUT, when I drive the E, and am moving slowly and using the brakes, the passenger side rear driveshaft "clacks" a little. It stops when I let off the brakes. {just like the front left driveshaft on my 96 Civic has been doing for 10,000 miles}.

I am tempted to just install the dampers on the differential, since the driveshaft did not feel loose at all, and leave the driveshaft till later.

Lastly, is tightening up the differential going to help with the awful noise in my E. I downloaded a "sound tester" app on my phone yesterday, {Decibel X} and my E registered 110 decibels from 30-70 mph.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,179 Posts
The differential mounts can be replaced without removing the axles to the wheels. I'd fix the differential mounts and see if it cures the axle noise. Axle replacement would require undoing the knuckle, but not doing anything with the differential other than popping the axle out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts