Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very early yesterday morning while I was shopping at Acme my Element was parked in the cold parking lot. When I started up the vehichle and pulled away I heard a loud clicking noise That only lasted for a couple of seconds that sounded like the speedometer cable might need lubrication. After the engine warmed up it stopped. It also made the same noise in neutral when pushing on the accelerator pedal as the RPM's were coming down. I park in a heated garage every night. So early this morning I took it to the dealer and let it sit outside for an hour but it would not make the noise again. It seems that whatever it was needed to adjust to the weather change. I called the parts department and they informed me that there is no spedometer cable on this vehichle. It is completely electronic. Does anyone have any ideas what could have been causing the noise?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
This will be a hard one to diagnose as It will have to be making the noise to find it. If you can park it outside and open the hood and then start it and hopefully it will make the noise so you might get an idea where it might be.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Let me know when you figure it out. Ours was getting an occasional cold engine, valve tapping sound that would clear up when the engine got warm. We changed to Honda oil filters and it went away for awhile, now it's back. I find it difficult to believe it may be valve adjustment because it happens only occasionally.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It tuned out to be air in the cooling system. So I bled the system and the noise is gone. Thanks for your help and interest.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In order to bleed the system follow these easy steps.
1. Fill the resevoir to the max level.
2. Fill the radiator to the top.
3. Start the engine with the heater on but the fan off.
4. Let the engine come to full operating temp.
5. You will notice that the radiator level has gone down so turn the engine off and simply repeat the entire process as many times as needed until the radiator level remains full.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts