Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand why manufacturers would spec a budget tire on new vehicles but the tires that came on my new 07 Element were absolutely horrible and borderline dangerous on this kind of vehicle.

Every since day one I noticed that my E was very squirrelly in the rain or on wet pavement. Add a strong cross-wind at highway speed and you've got a recipe for an accident. I figured it was a combination of tires and the general aerodynamics of a brick shaped vehicle and adjusted my driving to compensate.

We've had a fairly wet Spring here in Michigan and I finally got tired of spinning and slipping and did some research on the tires. It seems the Goodyear Wrangler HP have a dreadful reputation.

I decided to get rid of them and what a difference! Smoother, quieter ride and the E feels like it's connected to the road instead of floating over it. It really drives like a different vehicle.

Honda could do themselves a favor and be a little more discriminating on the OEM tires they use on their new cars and trucks. The tires I bought weren't that expensive compared to the Goodyears and they made a world of difference.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
There are quite a few threads, for and against the OM tires...

Seems those in the southern states have no problems, while those of us in the snow belts can't replace them fast enough....

one word....Michelin

LOL

·
Registered
57 Posts
O.E.M. Tires (The worst)

My new '10 awd came with Goodyear Wrangler's, they may be good tires on someother car's , but not the "E".While trying to climb a very slight hill with about an 1 inch of snow on the ground my "E" could'nt do it,needless to say i was very dissapointed,(I also have a '08 Surburban, and i'm most likley a little spoiled). found out the Goodyear tires on my "E" are not rated for Mud or Snow,W.T.F. , I bought the car in October of "10, on Long Island, in N.Y., one of the woret winters on record. I can't wait to get new snow tires next winter.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Trust me, I've had the same experience with the stock tires.

I called Honda, They told me to call Goodyear. Goodyear told me to call Honda!!!!! I got them on the line at the same time, and told them I wanted a resolution to the shi*ty handling/unsafe in wet conditions that this set of tires provide. They gave new Goodyear triple treads for 50 bucks.

The story, Here .

Dom

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
There are quite a few threads, for and against the OM tires... Seems those in the southern states have no problems, while those of us in the snow belts can't replace them fast enough.... one word....Michelin
LOL
Not sure if you'd consider northern Illinois to be in a "snow belt", but the OEM Goodyear tires on my 2004 were fine for 40K miles.

The E always moved when I stepped on the gas, and always stopped in a straight line and reasonable amount of distance -in rain and snow, on pavement or gravel. Handling was better than we'd been experiencing from American-designed midsize sedans and station wagons. I expected the E's ride to be firmer -more like a truck than a sedan - so maybe I'm just not picky enough.

From the mix of reviews I've read, I suspect that either there are QC problems with the Goodyear HPs, or there's a wide variation in the expectation level of drivers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The day I bought my E we got an inch or so of snow and joyfully took it on some unplowed country back roads. Purposely stopping on hills to test out the 4wd I was fairly impressed with the system, but if it were icy I would have no problems seeing the stock tires having trouble with traction. In the rain I don't see much difference from my previous car (02 civic si).

I'd agree on seeing the southern states having no problems, but driving unplowed roads daily could become a hassle.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The OEM's went away at the dealer before I took delivery. The Dealer was nice enough to replace them with four new Michelin LTXs for $200 more.

I put up with OEM's for 5K miles on my '05 'E before replacing them with LTXs. Sold the OEM's on Ebay for $150. Noticed a lot of wind effects and hydroplaning.

There are probably other tires that are as good or better than the LTX's, but if one keeps the 'E aligned, they'll last a lot of miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think i made it about 2 rain falls with the stock tires before getting rid of those scarily bad things. They were fine in the dry, but the second the roads got a bit wet they just stopped working.

I ended up getting the LTX's as well, and have LOVED them. Great in the rain and decent in the snow too. Going on 30k with them and they're still in great shape.

·
Registered
34 Posts
yes the oem Wranglers hp are not good slippery in rain and snow and wear bad!!
i have 21k on them with 30% tire left........ have to replace but not sure what to buy the Goodyear fuelmax tires maybe

I was told the tires that come on the E are a lower grade than if you buy a set of the same tires? Nice.................. :evil:

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
I didn't have a problem with the OEM Wranglers, but perhaps I was just lucky.

I replaced them after 40,000 miles with an alternative tire type, not because I was unsatisfied, but for tires that were less expensive and better fit my driving conditions.

But there's no reason for anyone looking for a high performance driving experience to expect OEM all weather tires to provide it in rain or snow, nor for a prospective purchaser to not research alternative tires prior to purchase.

Most dealers are happy to sell alternative tires as part of the original sale- marking them up from what you'd pay to replace them at a tire shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts