Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 SC and my low beams are dangerously low! I can't see anything driving through my neighborhood at night. High beams light up the world, and when I drive my wife's Hyundai, there is a night and day difference from mine..

So I replaced the bulbs with high end Sylvania bulbs (can't remember model, but $50). They are only slightly better. When I look directly into the low beams, it appears that the beam is only clear coming out of the top part of the lens. The lens itself looks frosted but I'm guessing that's by design and both lenses are the same. Maybe an optical illusion, I don't know, but again, both lights are exactly the same.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem might be or how I can test if there actually is a problem?

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,817 Posts
Lenses aren't frosted. Try cleaning and polishing them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are standard lenses, and the part I'm referring to is not the outer part you can touch but the inside cone shaped plastic which covers the bulb itself.

I don't believe they are aimed low. They hit my garage door right where I would guess they should. They just don't have much brightness to them.

Is there a test to measure if the brightness is correct or not?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I have an '08 with those what sounds like the same aftermarket Sylvania bulbs. They are brighter than my stock Honda ones were. No part of your headlight should be frosted. I'd take a close look and see if the previous owner modded them somehow.

·
Registered
389 Posts
also look around the edge of the lens and make sure they say honda/stanley on them. maybe it was in a crash and had the headlights replaced by aftermarket ones?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Or why don't you adjust them to be higher

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I have an '08 with those what sounds like the same aftermarket Sylvania bulbs. They are brighter than my stock Honda ones were. No part of your headlight should be frosted. I'd take a close look and see if the previous owner modded them somehow.
Is it at all in any way possible a previous owner installed standard bulbs instead of the HID's?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm the original owner and was never in an accident.

Any suggestions on getting this checked out? Do repair shops have meters that read the lights or something like that. I remember the NJ DMV would test your lights in order to pass inspection.

·
Registered
229 Posts
2008 sc

I have an '08 SC and find that the Low Beams "cut off" a little short for me. I have not (yet) attempted any adjustment on them.

They are adequately bright, but the light pattern seems to have a very defined cut off point on the roadway that I think is a bit short. At highway speeds I really feel like I am "over-driving" my low beams (at least as far as the roadway proper is concerned).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Cut-off point

I noticed that cut-off point, too, but it works for me. It seems to be at the bottom of road signs, any higher and there would probably be an issue with bothering oncoming traffic. The lights on ours seem to be superior to other cars/trucks I have driven. Maybe it's time for an adjustment.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Take this as a sign that you should upgrade to bi-xenon headlights...seriously though, maybe you could post a pic and other owners could see if theirs looks the same or different.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Touching the light bulbs with your fingers on installation can do this to headlights over time, the oils from your fingers gets on the bulb & burns off when the lights are on.
This can create a film inside the headlight housing that will diminish light output.

The chrome reflector inside the headlight should be like a mirror. Have you tried removing the bulb & reaching into the housing to rub the chrome reflector? Use a rubber glove, but it may just be a deposit of some kind on the inside that is killing your light output. I was pleasantly surprised with the output from my stock headlights, I find it hard to believe yours is that bad. lol

If there is film inside, you can clean the headlight by removing it & pouring cleaner inside & shaking it around. Just have to make sure the cleaner is strong enough, but wont eat the plastic.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the SilverStar Ultra High Performance Halogen Headlights in my wife's CRV, my truck and Honda motorcycle. They light up well enough for me. They are also legal.

·
Registered
44 Posts
From what i noticed and even ConsumerReports stated that the honda element low beams have a sharp cut off line. Even though i have an older E, I changed to Philips X-treme bulbs when my oem's burned out over a year ago and I must say the intensity is much greater and helps reflect street signs in the city far better.

I also drive to and from school in the middle of the night, 4 hr drive on dark interstate roads and the headlights work unbelievably well. I often have people chasing me cause I light up the road better, which makes spotting deer far easier haha

1 - 19 of 19 Posts