Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went through my first full tank of fuel and noticed the light came on with about 4 gallons of fuel left. That would mean it still had a 1/4 tank. The fillup only took just over 11 gallons. Any other observations of this???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anybody tested the limits of the reserve tank yet. I drove with the low fuel light on for at least 30 miles and it would only take 12.3 gallons when I filled up, I hate to fill up before I have to....

·
Registered
261 Posts
yeah, this is pretty common it seems. the low fuel light comes on extremely early. i was awazed the first time i filled up and it only took 12.5 gallons...(it think the tank holds > 15)

·
Registered
424 Posts
The tank holds 15.9 and the light comes on around the 11.9 mark. You should have at least 4 gallons left so 80 to 100 miles sounds right. I drove about 70 miles after the light came on, anyone drove longer :roll:

·
Registered
90 Posts
the night i drove mt E home from the dealer that was 212 mile away my light came on while on the interstate and being the first time driving it I was more than a little nervous That I would not make it the 56 mile to the next exit when I did make it my E took 13.7 gals. that so far has been the lowest Ive run it!

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Has anyone had the problem of:
When you fill your E up with gas that the low fuel light stays on for a couple of minutes (as long as 5or so) after your fill-up and you get back. It does go to show full but that first few miles are annoying as hell.

Mine is doing this - has since my first tank, took it in and the dealer reset something electronic - back on the road again, next tank of gas............same problem.

Any help would be appreciated!
ORANGEE
:shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
894 Posts
In Canada we have a 60 litre tank. My light comes on with what I believe to be 15 litres remaining. At approximately 10 littres to 100 kilometres, I would be able to drive about 150 kilometres before running dry. That would be about 95 miles.

Having said that, it is not a good idea to run the tank dry. It can be difficult to start it again. I have been told it is also hard on the fuel delivery and injection systems as well.

I am still tickled pink with the mileage I am getting. Averaging close to 29 miles to the imperial gallon. I fill up less often than before, and it costs less. :D

·
Registered
424 Posts
You drove 95 miles, WOW :shock:

29 miles per gallon , WOW :shock:

You must drive 90% highway miles or the air in Canada is really high :D

·
Registered
504 Posts
[quote:45c7cb466d="Element"]You drove 95 miles, WOW :shock:

29 miles per gallon , WOW :shock:

You must drive 90% highway miles or the air in Canada is really high :D[/quote:45c7cb466d]

1 U.S. gallon = 0.84 imperial gallon =3.8 liters

·
Registered
957 Posts
ORANGEE said:
Has anyone had the problem of:
When you fill your E up with gas that the low fuel light stays on for a couple of minutes (as long as 5or so) after your fill-up and you get back. It does go to show full but that first few miles are annoying as hell.

Mine is doing this - has since my first tank, took it in and the dealer reset something electronic - back on the road again, next tank of gas............same problem.

ORANGEE
:shock: :shock: :shock:
I have not had that problem at all. It sounds like it is an isolated issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
[quote:ee2d109017="ORANGEE"]Has anyone had the problem of:

ORANGEE
:shock: :shock: :shock:[/quote:ee2d109017]
Orangee
got my E 5/23, gas light comes on and does not register gas every time you fill it up. have been to the dealer twice and still does not work right. now it will go 0.5m come on, go off 1.9m stay off till 2.9. this was after being in the garage all day. mechanic said ground wire was loose and fixed. WRONG :? mazie mobile

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
This is proving to be a pain
The low fuel light stays lite and blinks after each fill-up for a few minutes.
Hope someone can help with what the problem might be - the dealer can't seem to be able to figure this out!
gotta be a sensor problem but I can't seem to get the dealer to go that route yet.

HELP

ORANGEE
:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
good thing i ran into this section... i too have a question concerning the low fuel light and where exactly is it??? also when the needle comes down to empty.. is it the line where the E is or at the E itself.>??? I have only had my Blu-E for 3 weeks and this is my first tank fill up...thought it was running on E then it took 12 gallons... have a long trip coming up and want to know exactly whats going on....thanks for your replies!
Batman

·
Registered
261 Posts
it seems that the light simply turns on a little bit early. a lot of us have noticed that if we fill up when the light comes on that the e only takes about 12 gallons (and the tank holds 15.9). not sure why this is, but it seems to be pretty standard.

·
Registered
894 Posts
My light comes on when it is very close to the "E" mark, and yet I still find I have about 3 to 4 US gallsons left. just something to get used to.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I know what's going on with the Low Fuel light! I finally finished reading my owner's manual today (while I was waiting for my E to get its first oil change) and the manual says not to let the E get really low on fuel, that it could do something to the catalytic converter. Obviously, Honda doesn't think that we'll read the manual or follow that advice, so they've set the Low Fuel light to come on with 3-4 gallons left in the tank, figuring that we can't ignore that bright yellow gas pump! :D

And I've seen that darned thing too many times! lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mazie Mobile still not fixed. Have figured out that if you fill the gas tank up (full) light starts blinking and E is registered. If you only put a few gallons in and not fill it up, the gauge works :roll: Now my dealer is going to try a new approach. Guess we are waiting for a new dash. They now think that this is a the problem, except unable to find the part. They said yesterday we are on top priority for your part :? Don't know when we will get it, but we will call. Does anyone know when the lemon law comes into effect.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I took my car to the dealership last week because I have yet to fill my 60 litre tank fully. What I mean is that if the fuel gauge says E, I am only able to put about 40 to 41 litres into the tank. The dealership had it for the morning, tested the fuel sending unit, the light, the gauge and the resistance, and it all tested normal. They said that once the gauge hits E there is still 100 to 150 kilometres left in the tank. The theory is that the vehicle may be used for off-roading, or beach runs and therefore far away from a gas station...needing more of a reserve to get you to the nearest gas station.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had this happen to me also. The low fuel came on, I gassed it up,and the light stayed on! I had some stops to make and after I got back in the car, I noticed it had shut off. I haven't let it run that far down since then so I don't know if it's still doing it. It was a little annoying though. :?

1 - 20 of 158 Posts