Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My problem is that the car stalls at stops. The problem started suddenly (after a long road trip) and is consistent. The car runs fine while it warming up, only stalls once it's warm. It also starts fine, but if the engine is already warm it stalls immediately.

I'm assuming that I need to do an idle learn procedure - but I can't find the instructions. I have the manual out, and tried searching the forums... can someone tell me how to do to this or point me to an explanation? Do I need to disconnect the battery first? Or a fuse?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Profile filled out and yes I did read the other threads. There's quite a few that are about people stalling when the engine is cold, or intermittent stalling problems, both of which seemed different than what I have going on.

It seemed like the ones most similar were/about the idle level. However, I've just done that - I think, I really can't tell when the engine fan is on when the car's running. But it still stalls when I'm not applying gas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Final note - it was a "need of idle reset" problem, but the official idle relearn didn't work for me. Interestingly, what worked for resetting the idle was better done while driving, with bouts strong acceleration. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar problem with my E stalling this last winter and took it to the dealership to be fixed. They said the problem was the vacuum hoses on the engine were disconnected. So check you vacuum hoses on the engine for good connections.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had a similar problem with my E stalling this last winter and took it to the dealership to be fixed. They said the problem was the vacuum hoses on the engine were disconnected. So check you vacuum hoses on the engine for good connections.

Also check the air filter to see it is clogged. It's not a bad idea to clean the MAP sensor located in front of the throttle body. This can be cleaned out using a can of carb cleaner or air flow mass cleaner.
My wife’s E stalled in a parking lot. It idled really low then died out almost like the engine was running on 2 cylinders. I took off the MAP sensor sprayed it, let it dry then reinstalled it and it fired right up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts