Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm looking at some new tires in the near future (Probably in the next couple of weeks...) but it seems like it's an endless search. I've been on tirerack, JCWhitney... but heck, I don't even know what I'm looking for. There are too many to choose from! :shock:

I figured EOC could help me out.

I live in central Florida (not too much snow down here), and I don't do a terrible amount of off-roading. I'm looking for low road noise, but I don't want to sacrifice safety or performance. Also, my budget is in the range of about 80-110 per tire.

Any suggestions, let me know!

-O

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Lots...LOTS...of info on this forum for tires.

My similar budget and driving environment put me on a set of General Tire Grabber HTS. I've been on a soapbox about them for a while now as they have served me well and were well recommended from experience here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! I've seen the Grabbers all over the place on these forums, and I've checked them out on tirerack, but how are they on road noise?

Also, I've seen some other people saying they got larger grabbers on stock rims? Any idea of the benefits?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Road noise is very good...as good as things can be for the E anyway. Much improved over the stock Good Years. My thought is they are much better than average for noise.

I put on 235/70's vs the stock 215's for:
- Adding a bit of clearance for runs to the beach and light offroad tendencies
- Looks...I admit I simply like the larger tire better on the E.
Dwonside to the larger rubber is loss of some driving dynamics (2-3 mpg hit, touch slower on start from stop). Since I drive some 90% highway, I don't push much for performance so I'm good with the compromises.

225's seem an excellent choice as they fill wheel wells better than stock but don't sacrifice so much performance.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Ive heard michellin LTX are great for ride and noise, but I love my Kumho kr21 I think they are.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Real happy with michelin latitudes 225 70 16. Much quieter than stock badyears, not to mention they are excellent in the rain.

Too bad they are over the budget limit.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Yup...the Grabber HTS seem to be right up your alley.

Road noise is very good I'd say. The Element is a little noisy no matter what tire you use, but the HTSs were noticeably better than the stockers or Cooper ATRs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the chance to drive around an E w/ Grabbers... decided to go a different route and got some Firestone Destinations.

Great on road noise, seem to be a pretty solid tire all around. Plus, buy 3, get one and free rotation, balance, and repair for the life of the tires! :grin:

Not too bad!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
decided to go a different route and got some Firestone Destinations...
Great on road noise, seem to be a pretty solid tire all around.
I've got Destination LEs on a 1/2 ton 2wd Chevy pick-up at work....and like them alot. They ride and drive nice and are holding up very well.

I've heard a few EOC members say they can be a bit noisy on the Element, but they are plenty quiet on the Chevy. The stock Goodyear (forget the model, but they had sucky traction & wear)tires from GM were also quiet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts