Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a new clutch and driver's side cv axle installed and now I have a low rpm shudder around 2500 rpm. It seems to smooth out after that.

I suspect the clutch. I used an Exedy clutch and the mechanic that put it all in is excellent and has performed clutch replacements for me in the past with no issues.

What could be causing this? It's driving me crazy.

Thanks!

Tom

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OEM replacement Excedy clutch or one of the "staged" performance clutches?
Just the OEM replacement.

After googling some more, I'm now thinking it could be the CV axle. That would be better than the clutch as it's easier to replace and it's got a life time warranty on it! What do you think the chance are of getting a bum CV axle are?

Thanks!

Tom

·
Registered
39 Posts
Possible. Is it a shudder only during engagement? Is it consistent in all gears under 2500 RPM? Did you use the break-in procedure for the new clutch?

·
Registered
839 Posts
You can isolate the CV shaft by road testing at the problem RPM range then shifting into neutral and keeping the RPMs steady. If the shudder diminishes as the vehicle slows, I would suspect something in the rotating driveline (CV shaft, propeller shaft, etc).

If the shudder remains steady with the RPMs as the vehicle slows, I would look to the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts