Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting quite a loud clunking noise coming from the front suspension when going over bumps or around a turn. From doing some searching, it sounds like the most likely culprits are the lower control arms and/or ball joints. Is there a way to determine which of the two are causing my noise (either via a visual inspection or something else)? At first glance, the lower control arms themselves dong look too rusted or beat up (though I’m not exactly sure what I should be looking for).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
449 Posts
Add tie rod ends, sway bar links, bad shocks, shock mounts to the list of things to look at. Visual inspection (broken boots, broken bushing, orange rust-dust), wiggling the wheel, and using a 3 ft long pry bar looking for abnormal play is what I do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m getting quite a loud clunking noise coming from the front suspension when going over bumps or around a turn. From doing some searching, it sounds like the most likely culprits are the lower control arms and/or ball joints. Is there a way to determine which of the two are causing my noise (either via a visual inspection or something else)? At first glance, the lower control arms themselves dong look too rusted or beat up (though I’m not exactly sure what I should be looking for).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a clunking noise on my right front side. Turn your wheel to the left or right and look at the part ( I don't know what it's called) on top going into what looks like the side of the engine. There is a bushing in there that went bad which caused the clunking sound. Took me a while to figure it out. I hope you understand what I just said.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts