Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 Element EX SOP has a horizontal scratch in the paint on the lower passenger front door. The scratch is about 4-5" long, and it is down to the bare metal. Rather than a repaint, I am considering spraying all four doors below the horizontal crease line with some kind of stone chip liner. I would then run a length of door molding along the crease line to hide the transition between the lower and upper doors.

Has anyone out there had any experience with this kind of mod? Or should I just pony up the cash and pedal my cheap ass over to a body shop? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Are you going to match the color or will the coating be black or dark gray or? You could use body side moldings from H and A, but they won't run the full length of the vehicle if you want to hide the transition. Conceptually it sounds cool, sort of accentuates the utility of the vehicle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What happens if you make a mess of spraying it on. Then it looks worse than the scratch. Maybe better to find a Duplicolor paint pen to match your paint. Works just like a ball point pen. Prep the scratch first with Evapo-Rust. That way you don't have to sand it to get rid of the rust. Its a chemical that dissolves rust without the use of acid. Use the paint pen to fill in the scratch, then let it dry then go over it with a clear coat pen. Duplicolor may have a complete scratch kit. Contains the body color as well as a Clear coat pen. Duplicolor has some tips on their web site. Also try

http://www.paintscratch.com/paintpen.htm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The paint is blistered where it is scratched, so a paint pen is out of the question. I also considered the rocker panel guards, but the colors don't match with the plastic body panels, and the look is a little "busy" for me (no offense).

Besides, if I screw it up, it really doesn't matter what I'm doing, does it? You must have seen my work before.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Don't paint, get some vinyl designed for the automotive exterior. I did this to my ASM Way easier than paint, and the stuff holds up well if you clean the surface thoroughly when you apply it. Also note that I did the upper parts on the doors here too with matte black vinyl.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is EXACTLY the look I'm after! What can you tell me about the product you used, and how you put it on your E? Hook a toaster brother up!

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
That is EXACTLY the look I'm after! What can you tell me about the product you used, and how you put it on your E? Hook a toaster brother up!
First, sorry for the delay.... been out hiking and biking in between storms as much as possible.
Here is probably the longest lasting on the market. This is about twice the material you'll need to get the job done if you are to do the upper doors and the section at the bottom of the doors also. Here's the thing, if you do the area around the windows too, take your time and to add an additional layer around the gutter or concave area around the rear window. If you can, take out the rear pop-out glass it makes the install much easier.

Hope that helps get you going!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts