Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Honda Element that I bought in 2005 I have not lowered it. It will be the next major mod that I do; but I'm not sure what set up is the best for these vehicles? I have 18" wheels but want to get 20" wheels soon. I'm looking to lower it 2-2.5"

Should I get the wheels first then lower it according to the wheels and tires?

My shocks are pretty shot on my E now. I have 88,000 miles on it and they haven't been replaced so I was going to get new shocks but thought if Im going to change my suspension system and lower my E I should do it all at once? I'm not sure if I can get new shocks now then use those same shocks for the new lowered suspension?
I've got allot to learn about doing mods so pardon the ignorance.

What is the best way to do this?
All the help in this matter will be appreciated :-}
I've enclosed some Pics Of my 2004 Dx E

Attachments

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
take the tires and rims off and then put on smaller tires..:lol: ha ha ha...I don't know the E- is too low for me now....:lol:

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
"PRAISE THE LOWERED!!!" :)

New shocks and struts are expensive, so if you're going to spend that kind of jack then you should just buy Coil Overs, they come with their own set of shorter shocks and springs. Lowering springs are a great temporary way to lower your ride. I say temporary because what you're doing is putting shorter springs over a normal OEM shock. The shock is then compressed and can only expand to that shortened limit.

Your ride looks good, but it does cause premature wear on the shocks. You can run it like this for a couple of years, or roughly about 40K miles or so before you will need new shocks again, versus the 88K miles you got on the old shocks. You eliminate that problem with Coil Overs, plus they are adjustable to the exact height you want your ride to sit at.

I ran Eibach Pro Kit Springs for the first couple of years after I bought my ride and I've been running Tein Basic Coil Overs for the last three years and they're great! So you just have to decide which way you want to go.

BTW, your ride looks very nice and "WELCOME" to the EOC!!!

Chief

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
Chief, you shoulda been a friggin photographer, that shot is awesome.
Thank you so much for your faith in my meager talents. But fortunately, that shot was taken by an automotive photographer by the name of Tim Tran, of TT Photography!!! ;-)

Chief

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"PRAISE THE LOWERED!!!" :)

New shocks and struts are expensive, so if you're going to spend that kind of jack then you should just buy Coil Overs, they come with their own set of shorter shocks and springs. Lowering springs are a great temporary way to lower your ride. I say temporary because what you're doing is putting shorter springs over a normal OEM shock. The shock is then compressed and can only expand to that shortened limit.

Your ride looks good, but it does cause premature wear on the shocks. You can run it like this for a couple of years, or roughly about 40K miles or so before you will need new shocks again, versus the 88K miles you got on the old shocks. You eliminate that problem with Coil Overs, plus they are adjustable to the exact height you want your ride to sit at.

I ran Eibach Pro Kit Springs for the first couple of years after I bought my ride and I've been running Tein Basic Coil Overs for the last three years and they're great! So you just have to decide which way you want to go.

BTW, your ride looks very nice and "WELCOME" to the EOC!!!

Chief

Hi DarthRaider Thanks allot it's getting there. I've just begun so allot more to come... I just finished the Baked Headlight Mod today (pics coming soon) I think I'm going with the Basic Tein Coil Over route because it will give me shocks and struts with the it and I can adjust my height when I get new rims and tires.
Thanks allot for your advice I appreciate it. Your E has inspired me so much it is sooooo sick man. I will eventually get the Tri color paint job too!!!! I have and SC console on its way so I will have my hands full with that for a while.
Oh bye the way Do you know of any cool Element car clubs out here in Vegas? I looked at some of your pics and it looks like allot of fun!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
Hi DarthRaider Thanks allot it's getting there. I've just begun so allot more to come... I just finished the Baked Headlight Mod today (pics coming soon) I think I'm going with the Basic Tein Coil Over route because it will give me shocks and struts with the it and I can adjust my height when I get new rims and tires.
Thanks allot for your advice I appreciate it. Your E has inspired me so much it is sooooo sick man. I will eventually get the Tri color paint job too!!!! I have and SC console on its way so I will have my hands full with that for a while.
Oh bye the way Do you know of any cool Element car clubs out here in Vegas? I looked at some of your pics and it looks like allot of fun!!!!!
You will not regret getting the Tein Basic Coil Overs, it will be some of the best money you've spent. Thank you for the compliments...it is most appreciated! ;-)

Elements are some of the most fun, under appreciated vehicles to fix up. You will enjoy every step of the way! There are no cool Element Car Clubs in Vegas, but SoCal is only five hours away, so I expect for you to be our "BIG MEET" in October. Then you can be here and have fun with about 50 other Elements! We're going to have hella fun, and you get to drive your "E" on the track where they hold the California 500.

I look forward to meeting you there!!! ;-)

Chief

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Big Meet in October......

Where and when is the Big Meet? We will be down in LA to see "The Script" maybe we can check the Meet out at the same time; that would be super cool..

Yeah my next big purchase will be the Basic Tein Coil Overs in a month or so. I was looking at some of these newer E's and it is way tempting to trade in my 2004 DX....
It would be such a better base to work from... What are your feelings on that?

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
Where and when is the Big Meet? We will be down in LA to see "The Script" maybe we can check the Meet out at the same time; that would be super cool..

Yeah my next big purchase will be the Basic Tein Coil Overs in a month or so. I was looking at some of these newer E's and it is way tempting to trade in my 2004 DX....
It would be such a better base to work from... What are your feelings on that?
Look under SoCal Owners in the California Elements Owners Section of the forum and you can get all the information. It's going to be a great event for a very worthy cause!

IMHO, when you buy a new or used car or truck, you should always try to buy the very best example of that particular model that you can afford. When I bought my ride in 2005, the EX was the 'top-of-the-line' Element. I totally fell in love with the SC's when they came out in 2007. If something happened to my ride right now, I would personally buy a 2007-2008 SC, they are my favorites, or a 2005 EX or a 2006 EX-P (2WD) which are my secondary favorites.

Chief

1 - 10 of 10 Posts