Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just finished lowering my roof rack on my Element. Here are the pictures if you have any questions please feel free to ask me! It took me a little over 2 hours to complete by myself. It was quite difficult to drill through the metal of the rack. The rubber pieces are pipe couplings that i used to prevent the rack from slipping. I am debating whether i want to cut the U-Bracket although it may be more work than it was worth.

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
good idea. chop them off.... you'll thank yourself later when you don't tear something open like your hand or arm.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Cut em off or get some bolt covers. Also, you can get those "U" bolts in anodized black. Try Grainger I think.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright so here's an update for everyone. I switched the rack back to its lifted mounting points due to the pretty sizable increase in wind noise while on the road/highway. I just couldn't handle it. So for anyone interested in doing this I would steer clear unless you don't mind a little extra noise.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I am just wondering what you carry on it, and how often do you use such a rack? I would think it makes a wind noise all the time. And how do you wash under it?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Alright so here's an update for everyone. I switched the rack back to its lifted mounting points due to the pretty sizable increase in wind noise while on the road/highway. I just couldn't handle it. So for anyone interested in doing this I would steer clear unless you don't mind a little extra noise.
That's too bad, I really like that look. I use mine occasionally and never hear any wind noise, I was looking forward to a lower rack that I could keep up all the time.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am just wondering what you carry on it, and how often do you use such a rack? I would think it makes a wind noise all the time. And how do you wash under it?
I have a 170lb Great Dane so when I travel she takes up pretty much the entire back area. So I just toss all my luggage up on top and I am ready to go. Surprisingly from what I can tell it doesn't make any wind noise. After I lowered it, it got really loud. I ended up lifting the rack back up because it was very distracting. I'm not huge on washing the car either I just run it through the auto bell near my house or a gas station car wash and that's enough for me. The main thing I like to be clean is the inside. :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's too bad, I really like that look. I use mine occasionally and never hear any wind noise, I was looking forward to a lower rack that I could keep up all the time.
I think it may have been my positioning on the roof. Others have done this a little differently with out using the wind fairing the rack came with and putting one a little farther forward on the roof and apparently they didn't have any issues. In the end though I didn't wanna go through all that trouble and just re-lifted it. Good thing I kept the old mounts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts