Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm sorry if it's wrong to start a new post, but I feel that I'm leaving my original post about changing my struts. That's been done, but I still have the creaking noise.

I read through many posts and stumbled upon one mentioning a similar creaking sound when starting from a dead stop. Lubing the sway bar bushings took care of the noise? Can anyone shed some light on this? Is this something the is normally done? What should I use to lube the bushings since I think some lubricants destroy rubber. Most importantly, what's a sway bar bushing look like???

I'm eager to get this noise taken care of as it's been driving me nuts. I've replaced the struts, and two engine mounts and still have the problem.

Thanks

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
> what's a sway bar bushing look like?

Front, #8 in illustration

Rear, #7

If you are going to remove these parts to grease them, you might as well replace 'em, as they are very cheap. However unless the new bushings are split (I haven't replaced mine yet so don't know), you'll have to do some other disassembly, including the stabilizer links, which tend not to survive the process.

Service manual:
H&A
Helm Inc.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The oem bushings are split, so they will slip on the sway bar where they need to be placed.

I lubed mine with heavy duty/marine grade automotive grease and a grease gun with a needle point fitting. I loosened the brackets that hold the bushings and bar to the body of the car just enough to slip the needle point between the bar and the bushing.

Yes, it is easy to replace the bushings but just greasing them is a way to trouble shoot the source of the creaking noise. Also routine(yearly?) greasing may prolong the life of the bushings.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
The oem bushings are split, so they will slip on the sway bar where they need to be placed.
The front split as well?
If they are, I may as well order the fronts at the same time as the rears...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
As far as I can remember they are split. You should be able to see the split from the side of the bracket.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far this is sounding good. I've found a bunch of videos on youtube of cars making the same noise as mine. They've replaced the sway bar bushings and voila....the noise is gone. I went to my local honda dealership but they had to order the 2 bushings. It was about $7 and I should have them in 3 days. When I get home from work I'm going to try to loosen mine up and lubricate them. If they're quiet after that....I'll be a happy camper.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Lube them with silicone paste, anyhting else will soften the rubber.
Yep, if they are rubber (which most all stock bushings are) a can of liquid silicone will work the best and regular grease should only be used on polyurethane bushings

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I will double check my grease pack and see what it is made of. At least the parts are cheap and at close to 100k miles they are probably due for a replacement anyway.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well....:-(

I removed both bushings...cleaned them off and sprayed them down with silicone spray, sprayed the spot on the bar where they go....I sprayed down everything. Put it back together, took it for a test drive and still all the creaking. This is sooo frustrating.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Well....:-(

I removed both bushings...cleaned them off and sprayed them down with silicone spray, sprayed the spot on the bar where they go....I sprayed down everything. Put it back together, took it for a test drive and still all the creaking. This is sooo frustrating.
I think the point is that the bushings need to be replaced on the older E's, not just cleaned and replaced.
They tend to get worn, and are not as 'snug' as they should be. The creaking and groaning is the sound the rubber makes as it moves against the sway bar. You would lubricate the new bushings to reduce the wear on the new bushings. Regular lubricating would help reduce the wear too, but once they are worn....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the point is that the bushings need to be replaced on the older E's, not just cleaned and replaced.
They tend to get worn, and are not as 'snug' as they should be. The creaking and groaning is the sound the rubber makes as it moves against the sway bar. You would lubricate the new bushings to reduce the wear on the new bushings. Regular lubricating would help reduce the wear too, but once they are worn....
Well, I just got a call from my Honda Dealer and the bushings are in stock. I'm going to swing by and get them so I can swap them out tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed. Do I need to spray them down with silicone lubricant or anything before I put them in?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
it would be a very good idea to spray them before installing them. It would also be a good idea to check the bar where the bushing sits to make sure it is clean and smooth.

I used the heavy grease so that may soften the rubber and fill the gaps a bit more than just silicone.

good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just replaced my lower control arm bushing.
Check my thread
If it's out it will sound more like a "clunk" than a squeek though.
You can just lift your car, take out the wheel and take a look at it.
it will be obvious like the picture in my thread.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Looks like I found the right thread...

I just noticed my last oil change paperwork says "recommend front lower control arm bushings (cracking)". Nobody told me anything verbally. =(

1. If they are 'cracking' now, how long do I have?
2. How much will this cost me to let the dealer handle it? Does it help to buy the parts myself first? Would it be cheaper to piggy back this on my next Minor/Intermediate/Major service?
3. I've done some other work and mods on the car, but I'm still learning. I DO have the factory manual, and I am common-sense-inclined. Is this DIY-able?

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good morning Element World!!!!
I'm new to this forum but not new to the world of forums, so I basically know how things work. Searched my way to this thread. I'm in the process of trying to locate the site vendors so I can place my order for a couple of new sway bar bushings.

great information listed in this thread, and love the images to show the the parts...
g

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have the part number for the rear sway bar bushings? I am in the UK and heading to the dealer tomorrow; since they never sold Elements in this country I am not sure if they will have it, but would like to try and see if they do.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Does anyone have the part number for the rear sway bar bushings? I am in the UK and heading to the dealer tomorrow; since they never sold Elements in this country I am not sure if they will have it, but would like to try and see if they do.
Sway bar bushings are rather generic and they (the Honda dealer) should be able to find one that will fit either in their inventory or from a parts house.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts