Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on a tight buget and it seem that the LX 2WD drive auto is going to be my main choice of the three models. The rims on the EX does look much better and the LX looks rather plain and the sound system is pretty much less desireable. Aside form that what else am I going to live without? Anyone out thier with the LX version, could some positive input....

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
[quote:2f9360ed81=" "]I'm on a tight buget and it seem that the LX 2WD drive auto is going to be my main choice of the three models. The rims on the EX does look much better and the LX looks rather plain and the sound system is pretty much less desireable. Aside form that what else am I going to live without? Anyone out thier with the LX version, could some positive input....[/quote:2f9360ed81]

EX definitely has the following items that LX and DX do not:

EFX fabric on the rear seats
Anti-Lock Brakes
Alloy rims
Cruise Control
Stronger outside plastics
"270 Watt" Stereo w/ in-dash aux jack & subwoofer
Overhead storage
Optional Side airbags
Rear 12V socket

I also think the Power Mirrors are EX-only, but I could be wrong.

I'll leave the DX <-> LX differences to someone else. I know A/C is the major item.

-brendan

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have DX with AC, since I wanted my own stereo and don't like ABS.
Got EX rims for $300 delievered, but you can find them cheaper.
The only thing I miss is the cruise control, but if I had to do it over, I would go with EX.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Is the rear skylight available on the 2wd LX? Also I think one of the differences with the exterior plastic, at least from what I have read, is that the panels are either painted or manufactured to be more metal like on the EX. That may not mean much to many and I haven't actually seen the difference, myself but from one thread I read, it seems that if you get wax on the EX panels it isn't as big of a problem as if you get it on the DX/LX panels. The finish on the EX plastic I guess holds up a little better to the elements etc.

Maybe someone can clarify this for us.

Also, the LX and DX do not come in Galopagos Green, Sunset Orange or Shoreline Mist and it appears that they come with Steel Wheels as opposed to the Alloy wheels.

Looking at,

http://www.hondacars.com/models/specifications.asp?ModelName=Element

I see, no Anti Lock Breaks, No Electronic Break Distribution, No Dual Side Power Mirrors, Metalic Gray Composite panels on EX ONLY. Alloy Wheels EX ONLY, NO Cruise Control, Passenger Vanity Mirror EX ONLY, EX does NOT have a lower instrument panel storage compartment (Whatever that is). EX comes with Overhead Storage Compartment, others don't. EX has Map Lights. EX comes with Drivers Side Seatback Bungees and Passenger Side Seatback Pockets. LX and DX have Waterproof seating FRONT ONLY. Only EX has Driver and Passenger armrests. 7 speaker w/subwoofer in EX and 4 speaker NO SUBWOOFER in LX/DX. MP3 Digital Aux Jack EX ONLY. Side Airbags available only in EX.

WmAS1960 (Bill)

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
[quote:cf1687a38e=" "]Is the rear skylight available on the 2wd LX?[/quote:cf1687a38e]

No, it's only for AWDs. You can get an LX AWD and then get the rear skylight, of course.

[quote:cf1687a38e=" "]Also I think one of the differences with the exterior plastic, at least from what I have read, is that the panels are either painted or manufactured to be more metal like on the EX. That may not mean much to many and I haven't actually seen the difference, myself but from one thread I read, it seems that if you get wax on the EX panels it isn't as big of a problem as if you get it on the DX/LX panels. The finish on the EX plastic I guess holds up a little better to the elements etc.

Maybe someone can clarify this for us.[/quote:cf1687a38e]

Seems to be about what I remember as the general wisdom.

[quote:cf1687a38e=" "]Also, the LX and DX do not come in Galopagos Green, Sunset Orange or Shoreline Mist and it appears that they come with Steel Wheels as opposed to the Alloy wheels. [/quote:cf1687a38e]

Ah, good point about the colors.

[quote:cf1687a38e=" "]I see, no Anti Lock Breaks, No Electronic Break Distribution, No Dual Side Power Mirrors, Metalic Gray Composite panels on EX ONLY.[/quote:cf1687a38e]

Hmm, it appears that EBD is their variation of ABS taking into consideration weight distribution in the vehicle:

http://world.honda.com/news/1997/c970919d.html

Also, it appears I was right about the mirrors. :)

[quote:cf1687a38e=" "]Alloy Wheels EX ONLY, NO Cruise Control, Passenger Vanity Mirror EX ONLY, EX does NOT have a lower instrument panel storage compartment (Whatever that is). EX comes with Overhead Storage Compartment, others don't. EX has Map Lights.[/quote:cf1687a38e]

Missed the vanity mirror, doh! The lower instrument panel storage is basically the "doesn't have a sub, so you can store stuff below the shifter" storage. The map lights are part of the overhead storage panel.

[quote:cf1687a38e=" "]EX comes with Drivers Side Seatback Bungees and Passenger Side Seatback Pockets. LX and DX have Waterproof seating FRONT ONLY. Only EX has Driver and Passenger armrests. 7 speaker w/subwoofer in EX and 4 speaker NO SUBWOOFER in LX/DX. MP3 Digital Aux Jack EX ONLY. Side Airbags available only in EX. [/quote:cf1687a38e]

Thanks for looking it up, Bill.

-brendan

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was looking at my dealer's auxillary lot where they store cars that came off the truck until room opens up on their main lot. (I go there a lot while waiting for my E <sigh>). Anyway, I saw that they had an SOP with steel wheels. I got out and checked and the window sticker said it was LX! Does anyone know about this? Honda is still saying SOP is only available on EX, right?

·
Registered
87 Posts
There was a post a month or so ago saying that Honda had said in a press release that SOP and GGM would be available on the DX/LX starting sometime this month.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just tonite I was refiguring out the LX vs. EX thing :?: :!: ... I was using Carsdirect.com for pricing $16,093 LX 2WD 5sp. & $17,753 ($17,953 side air bags) EX 2WD, 5sp. So it is about a 2K difference. These prices include $490 destination charge. Add an AT for around $700 ( I don't recall exactly since I was interested in 5sp.) For myself it is all about the side airbags and metallic gray composite body panels on the EX, the rest are sweet but not essential. I filled out the Carsdirect.com forms and will begin the process. I also found a local dealer across the bay doing 0% long term financing on ALL his Hondas, so I phoned and the Elements are included. Not so in my county (credit union 4.5%) but I will venture across the bay to see if they will meet the Carsdirect.com price along w/ their financing. If not I have been hitting Craigslist.com and seeing an Element or two every couple of weeks. That way the depreciation factor will help w/ the financing factor...I have been on this desire for about 2 months now and it just will not subside so I have been methodically test driving Elements, trying to decide on color/tranny. I always approach Element drivers in parking lots to ask LX or EX, AT or 5sp and they are the nicest folks and own all diff types of Elements and LOVE their Elements. This is a great way to purchase an Element. The first guy I asked said he bought his without test driving it. Just knew. He asked me if I had trouble making decisions !! Only when they cost $$$$

1 - 8 of 8 Posts