Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking through the “Best Practices” thread and the factory service manual. Since I’m doing a brake bleed in a few days (actually just as soon as my Mitutoyo “mic” shows up) figured I might as well “inspect” my brakes while I’m at it*. The service manual notes Honda silicone grease (P/N 08C30-B0234M) to be applied to the caliper pin and caliper pin boots. Is this just high temp silicone grease? On the boots—am I to just put a little lube on each end to seal it?

The service manual notes M77 / Molykote be applied to the back of the pads and the shims. Any substitutes for this $17.20 high-molybdenum-content wonder? I’ve read opinions here that regular DiscQuiet is a better choice. Dunno.

* Figured while I’m in there might as well check rotor run-out and parallelism. I neither feel nor hear any problems with the brakes/rotors, but thought it would be good practice. Plus, if I do have a problem in the future I’ll have a good baseline to judge from.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Looking through the “Best Practices” thread and the factory service manual. Since I’m doing a brake bleed in a few days (actually just as soon as my Mitutoyo “mic” shows up) figured I might as well “inspect” my brakes while I’m at it*. The service manual notes Honda silicone grease (P/N 08C30-B0234M) to be applied to the caliper pin and caliper pin boots. Is this just high temp silicone grease? On the boots—am I to just put a little lube on each end to seal it?

The service manual notes M77 / Molykote be applied to the back of the pads and the shims. Any substitutes for this $17.20 high-molybdenum-content wonder? I’ve read opinions here that regular DiscQuiet is a better choice. Dunno.

* Figured while I’m in there might as well check rotor run-out and parallelism. I neither feel nor hear any problems with the brakes/rotors, but thought it would be good practice. Plus, if I do have a problem in the future I’ll have a good baseline to judge from.
I used CRC Synthetic Brake and Caliper grease

·
Registered
216 Posts
WOW - talk about coincidence!

I just looked at my newly purchased Service Manual last night to get an idea of how to inspect the brakes. My MT E has about 90k miles and still has the original pads - I just want to take a closer look at how everything's holding up.

I bought some generic lube for disc brake pins.

What I want to be clear on is what is the M77 Assembly Paste they refer to. Is that a "grease" or something else? The way it's applied to the shims, it doesn't seem like a grease would be appropriate*.

When I actually get in there, it will probable be obvious, but it would be easier to make another trip to the auto parts store before I get in too deep.

*I have some spray-on "anti-squeal" stuff I've used before - that seems more appropriate on the shims than grease.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just looked at my newly purchased Service Manual last night to get an idea of how to inspect the brakes. My MT E has about 90k miles and still has the original pads - I just want to take a closer look at how everything's holding up.
I'll give numbers after my service, but I've got a lot of pad left after 60K miles. The brakes on this thing are amazing.

I bought some generic lube for disc brake pins.

What I want to be clear on is what is the M77 Assembly Paste they refer to. Is that a "grease" or something else? The way it's applied to the shims, it doesn't seem like a grease would be appropriate*.

When I actually get in there, it will probable be obvious, but it would be easier to make another trip to the auto parts store before I get in too deep.

*I have some spray-on "anti-squeal" stuff I've used before - that seems more appropriate on the shims than grease.
I believe M77 (scroll to bottom) is polishing-lubricant-grease-like stuff. It is completely different than disc quiet. See this link for a discussion (not sure what pages it's on, but since you'll be doing some of this it won't hurt to peruse the whole thing).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I picked up some of that CRC Synthetic Brake & Caliper Grease yesterday. It states it contains Molybdemun along with PTFE & Graphite. It does note brake shims & all metal to metal contact as applications (which is the same applications for the M77). Not sure if it's comparable to M77's Moly content or not--but I'm going to stop thinking about it.

They didn't have the tube so I bought to 5 life time supply 8 oz container.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I used the CRC grease for the lube of the slider pins and where the pads meet the bracket.

i used disc quiet between the shims and pads - although i have heard of people using the grease between the shims and pads as an alternative

As for the CRC grease, i found the rube at Napa, the lifetime 8oz container at Kragen, and the 16oz multi-generation jug at pepboys.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used the CRC lube between the pads/shims/piston instead of DiscQuiet. No problems to date, but I've only put like 50 miles on the E in the last few weeks. I figured I'd go with the factory recommendation knowing that if I didn't like the results it's about as easy as anything to rectify with DiscQuiet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts