Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
E-Devil, We know whow you are since you were the only customer that complained as much as you did. Having said that we refunded all the customers moneys and only a couple of customers decided not to proceed. Also we offered all customers who lost money to a paypal fee, money back as well. In our books this is what you call CUSTOMER SERVICE, Yes, there was an error with the pricing but we immediately responded by returning everyones money so that we didnt look like we were increasing the price just for something to do after your order. It would have been a lot longer process if we had sent out emails first to discuss as most people were not home when we called. There was nothing lost to the customer, they either continued on with their purchase or they got a full refund. That is customer service, and this is what we pride ourselves on.

http://www.madram.ca/cloudrider.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
[quote:003460dd4a="HIGHLANDER"]<cut>There was nothing lost to the customer, they either continued on with their purchase or they got a full refund. That is customer service, and this is what we pride ourselves on.

http://www.madram.ca/cloudrider.html[/quote:003460dd4a]

You need to understand that it's not exactly true that "there was nothing lost to the customer."

Consider the customer who goes looking to buy an item and finds it on sale for three days at Store A for $150. Everywhere else sells the same item regularly for $180. The customer keeps looking and finds the item selling for $130 from Madram. The customer places an order with Madram at $130, satisfied that he has found a good deal. The customer makes payment to Madram, and the payment is accepted.

A few days later, Madram contacts the customer to say that the price will be $179.99. "We're so sorry, somebody else made a mistake, we're not responsible, do you want your money back or will you send us more money, you're the customer, you're so important, blah, blah, blah."

Of course, the customer could have bought the item at Store A for $150 but for missing out on the 3-day special. Now do you understand how this can involve a very real loss for the customer? Would this be any different if you had a similar experience with two of your suppliers?

I don't know who's responsible here, but it's either Madram or Madram's suppliers. The customer shouldn't be the one taking the loss. If you want to operate a business and have any reputation at all, then you have to stand behind your prices. If you had delivered the item and then realized the "error," would you have told the customer to return the product to you or send more money?

Here's the real lesson to be taken from this: If you buy from Madram, the agreed "price" may turn out to be the actual price, or it may just be your first payment. You may have to send them more money even after you agree on a price, place an order, and send your payment. You won't really know the price until Madram figures out how to price the item, and that may be after you pay for your order. You just never know. Madram will let you know the price on an ongoing basis.

Here' the real question for you, Madram: Let's say that you set your price for a given item at $130 based on a supplier telling you that your cost per item is $65 (you make $65 on each item at this price/cost structure). You take orders from customers, the customers pay you, and then the supplier tells you that they made a mistake: your cost will be only $25 per item.

Are you now going to issue refunds to all of the customers who paid you $130? Be honest.

I wish you all the best in learning how to operate a business, but you have some very important lessons to learn about the most rudimentary fundamentals of real "customer service."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, as a matter of fact we do actually send the difference back to the customers as either cash or in the form of a gift certificate. We review prices at the end of every month and since we have to post our prices our previous customers can see the deal they missed so we pay then back the difference in one of the two forms listed above. Unfortunately we are not in the business to lose money and it was unfortunate what has recently happened but to cover an increase of $41.85 US per customer becomes a very expensive loss. We are happy with the manufacturers product line and feel that if you are not happy with the service we can provide then we do welcome you to shop at a different venue where you can still buy this quality product.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
so they did not agree to offer the price they had advertised.. yeah that is dishonest.

·
Registered
14 Posts
[quote:de20b0a4c0="HIGHLANDER"]Yes, as a matter of fact we do actually send the difference back to the customers as either cash or in the form of a gift certificate. We review prices at the end of every month and since we have to post our prices our previous customers can see the deal they missed so we pay then back the difference in one of the two forms listed above. Unfortunately we are not in the business to lose money and it was unfortunate what has recently happened but to cover an increase of $41.85 US per customer becomes a very expensive loss. We are happy with the manufacturers product line and feel that if you are not happy with the service we can provide then we do welcome you to shop at a different venue where you can still buy this quality product.[/quote:de20b0a4c0]

If you're not in business to lose money, then you need to establish relationships with your suppliers so that you don't have to pass these problems through to your customers. You still didn't explain what you would do if you didn't discover the problem until after you delivered the item to the customer. Consider the supplier quotes a price to you. Based on that quote, you quote a selling price to a customer, your customer places an order and pays, and you deliver the item. At the end of the month, your supplier sends you an invoice: oops, sorry dude, it's more than we told you, we're not in business to lose money, blah, blah, blah.

Are you going to take the loss, are you going to tell your supplier to take the loss, or are you going to tell your customer to send more money? Assume that we're talking about a "very expensive" loss. I'm sure you or your supplier are willing to cover a small loss. I just don't understand how the fact that the loss is "very expensive" makes it legitimate to pass it on to the customer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your comments and concerns.

We will take them under consideration.

We have explained ourselves enough to the Honda Element Club and to our valued customers. We have apologized for our honest mistakes and tried to correct them as best as we could. We will no longer need to explain this unfortunate mishap.

Mad Ram Truck Accessories

·
Registered
23 Posts
Madram has paid the difference that PayPal charged. Kudos for them for making this a actual cost zero to me. I have already stated how I feel about the whole process. So I won't rant anymore on this.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I am trying another vendor. I will let you all know how that goes. :roll:

·
Registered
540 Posts
All that needed explaining to me was that a seller didn't honor their advertised price.

They made an offer to sell at X price, customer accepted that offer and paid in good faith. Seller, for whatever their reason, backed out of the deal.

The price should have been honored, period.

This is more than good customer service. This is, quite often, the law in Anglo-American jurisdictions. I don't know Canadian law. Had this happened in the US, I'd have some interesting referrals to make to aggrieved customers.

Prompt refunds, fine. Good. That's a remedy for a breach that should not have taken place in the first place. I found the first sentence "Oh we know who you are, nobody else complained as much" (paraphrased) to say a whole lot about this seller, too.

This forum reaches 1700 potential customers, and you don't have to be psychic to know that not one of those 1700 would appreciate this deal going sour, or the Paypal hassle, or the attitude.

I'm glad that EOC members are giving each other the heads up about all aspects of this car - buying, driving, enjoying, and good people to work with.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I am a retail manager and it is not only bad customer service not to honor an item as priced it is also illegal. Honest mistake or not....it is still illegal.

If one of my 16 year old part time associates mis-quotes a price on an item it is not the consumers fault....I honor the price and counsel the associate on how to properly check the price of the item. It is as simple as that!

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I'm currently awaiting word on my refund - PAY PAL has pushed this back onto Mad Ram - I have requested credit back to my card account from them - in lieu of that - just send the merchendise @ the agreed upon price.
Gotta tell you folks - the run around I got from Pay Pal has made me very relucant to do buisness with them in the future.
Also - Is there a US supplier of the Cloud Rider grill covers, The product is still very cool

ORANGEE

·
Registered
176 Posts
[quote:2446d4ec6f="HIGHLANDER"]E-Devil, We know whow you are since you were the only customer that complained as much as you did. [/quote:2446d4ec6f]

Not to jump on this boat, but that sentence alone is infuriating and unprofessional to be coming from an operator of a business. You don't name customers in a public forum, and you don't take a condescending attitude toward them.

Now, for this not to be a big "don't" post, let me tell you a few positives:
-You saw a demand for a product, and stepped up and offered it.
-You obviously tried to right an error how you saw fit. The question remains whether the correction was fair/legal, but at this point that's moot.

It is unfortunately a 1-way street when it comes to running a company. Customers have all the right (and are encouraged) to make public reviews of a company's product/service/etc. All the company can do once they notice some "bleeding" is to try to correct it as judiciously as possible. It is usually faux pas for the company to respond, in a public forum of any type, to negative reviews (for anything short of a product recall). If you make the situation right in private, the customer will usually say such on the same forum where they brought up the issue.

I'm just trying to be a help here, as I'm sure all E-owners such as myself appreciate companies who are willing to step up this early and offer accessories to our beloved E's. :)

That being said, once I raise the 170 bucks or so, count me in on one of those cloud rider screens. Ya'll should have seen the carnage that bugs wrought on my condenser this past weekend :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts