Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turned the E over to John this morning - saw another Kiwi Green in the shop from VA - John said it was the 3rd Kiwi Green in a row.

Trip from Fort Collins, after a week with family was a great one. Took Hwy 14 and 40 west along the Poudre River to Steamboat Springs. Went 26 miles north to the SBS State Park at about 8'000' - glorious place!! The Pine Borer Beetle had decimated the pines and the Park Service had long since removed them. Instead of trees, every space that wasn't road or a campsite was wildflowers - I've never seen so many colors and shapes. Beautiful site overlooking the lake and being overlooked by 10,000' Hahn's Peak. Big deer, with antlers, walked thru the campground and Aladdin was not happy he couldn't give chase.

Next day, on to Dinsosaur National Park - where dogs are not allowed out of the parking lots or the campgrounds. No hiking - so no point in going in and the regular Vistor's Center was under renovation anyway. Instead, went 10 miles north of Vernal, UT to Red Fleet State Park which again was on a lake and surrounded by beautiful rock hills and a ledge 300' across from my campsite with dinosaur tracks - who needs a National Park anyway? State Parks are just as nice and much less crowded and dog friendly.

Still following Hwy 40 thru Utah to Provo, turned south on I-15, took exit 188 onto 50 and then Hwys 89, 24 and 25 to climb to FishLake National Forest and stayed at Mackinac campground because it had pay-for hot showers. National Forests are dog friendly too and we hiked the west side of FishLake, also known as the Spanish Trail, which goes for 1200 miles. Saw elk on their way for water. All this water at altitude made me want a little inflatable boat. Local restaurant had a board posting daily catches - the top was a 38 lb trout/Mackinac/Char - looked more like an ocean fish than what I expected to see come out of a lake!!

What is there to say about Utah, except that around every turn there is more mind melting scenery!!!! Took Hwy 12 thru the Grand Escalante National Monument/Staircase and, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING, kept coming to mind as I drove over narrow, crumbling, ridge roads - I believe one portion is aptly named, Hell's Backbone. Kept hoping I'd wouldn't drive the E off the edge while trying to take in the scenery.

Made it to Cannonville and definitely passed up the hot, dusty, but convenient KOA on the road and drove 9 miles further into the boonies to the wonderful Kodachrome State Park. Campsites up against a canyon wall and under petrified geyers (67 of them); lots of trails, very clean, free hot showers, very friendly pleasant rangers, very quiet, great star gazing, very well arranged sites; gorgeous state park - sorry I couldn't stay longer!

And then unfortunately, I had to leave UT and head into NV and CA - hot, dusty, brown, polluted/hazy air, trash everywhere, crowded, bad roads, scary looking people, stray thirsty dogs, starving horses, hovels everywhere - 3rd world looking. Stayed in a Motel 6 in Apple Valley and followed the posted advice and took everything of value out of the E, including my bike so it wouldn't be stolen.

And then on to Chula Vista, where I'm staying in a KOA Kamping Kabin while the E conversion happens. What a pleasant surprise..........especially considering what most of the KOA's I passed up along the way looked like. Lots of greenery, flowers blooming everywhere, well-staffed, well maintained, two off leash dog parks, a dog washing station, immediate access to bike trails and the temperature, at sea level, is in the low 70's with a pleasant sea breeze. I'm grateful to be spending the week here instead of in a motel.

After this epistle, don't know if I can figure out how to attach some pics, but I'll try.

Tried but couldn't get it fo finish loading. Will try posting separately.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
And then unfortunately, I had to leave UT and head into NV and CA - hot, dusty, brown, polluted/hazy air, trash everywhere, crowded, bad roads, scary looking people, stray thirsty dogs, starving horses, hovels everywhere - 3rd world looking. Stayed in a Motel 6 in Apple Valley and followed the posted advice and took everything of value out of the E, including my bike so it wouldn't be stolen.
Excellent write-up. Sad commentary on the transition from Utah to Nevada-Cal.

Where are you off to once the E is done?

I hope you can figure out the pics. I re-size mine smaller before attempting to upload.

:)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Excellent write-up. Sad commentary on the transition from Utah to Nevada-Cal.

:)
What HC said! I would love to do a trip like this once myself, to see more of the US not only central Ohio.

Good luck with figuring out the picture posting. They will be very appreciated.

Enjoy your stay and give a nice belly rub to Aladdin from me. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm heading to Colorado next week, up to Fort Colllins, grabbing some beers and spending a week at my buddys cabin up the poudre and doing lots of fly fishing. Love that place!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where are you off to once the E is done? (Montana, Idaho, Wyoming)

I hope you can figure out the pics. I re-size mine smaller before attempting to upload.

(hopefully, the first pic is of the lake in front of my campsite at Steamboat Springs State Park - 26 miles north of the ski resort and at 8,000' - 2nd pic should be 10,000' Hahn Peak behind my site; 3rd pic should be Aladdin, focused on the deer walking in front of him.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What HC said! I would love to do a trip like this once myself, to see more of the US not only central Ohio.

Good luck with figuring out the picture posting. They will be very appreciated.

Enjoy your stay and give a nice belly rub to Aladdin from me. :)
Tried to load 3 pics, but could only get one. Will try the others later.

1st should be another pic of the E at Steamboat Springs, with Aladdin on the raised dog bed waiting for me to finish loading.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Thank you for posting pictures! So jealous. Really awesome trip and looks like the pup is so enjoying his time. :grin:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for posting pictures! So jealous. Really awesome trip and looks like the pup is so enjoying his time. :grin:
Once I got away from the heat in the central and eastern US, it has been pretty neat seeing states I've never been to. As for Aladdin, he's been on alert so much of the trip - what with new sights and sounds all the time that when we unloaded in Chula Vista, he sacked out on the bed in the Kabin and has slept most of the 3 days and nights we've been here. He's not allowed to bark - unless he has something really important to warn about - but he has started a low woof at night if he hears or smells something outside. So funny. He doesn't get up - just rumbles under the covers.

Spent 3 years at DCSC in Columbus. Great all-American city - the test market for new franchises because it's so evenly representative of the whole country. Loved the botanical garden in the winter and German Village in the summer.

·
Registered
139 Posts
wow, great pics! Sounds like a wonderful trip. Thanks for the tip on Kodachrome SP. We'll be in that area in one month and were thinking of camping at Bryce NP, but Kodachrome sounds better, and takes reservations. How was the heat?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow, great pics! Sounds like a wonderful trip. Thanks for the tip on Kodachrome SP. We'll be in that area in one month and were thinking of camping at Bryce NP, but Kodachrome sounds better, and takes reservations. How was the heat?
Wasn't hot at all and I didn't have a reservation either. I had site 14 - pretty private backed up to the canyon wall. Site arrangement was different than anything else I've seen - I liked it.

Kodachrome wasn't close to full and I was there on a Friday night - although the KOA on the road appeared to be full. Maybe it's because Kodachrome is another 9 miles back into the hills and after a long day on Hwy 12, most people took the easy out.

The lack of heat has been the surprise on this trip. After I left MO and NE, the evenings have been pleasant. I sleep in the E - next to a 90 lb Ridgeback who isn't interested in covers or body heat until it gets below 70.

As long as it is under 80 degrees at night, I'm okay but have been trying to find the very light-weight, battery powered, magnetized tent fans once sold at Wal-Mart. Talked to a Westfalia owner who had them attached to the tent screens on top - one piece was on the outside of the screen and the fan part was on the inside.........so light, there was no strain on the screens.

Been in multiple Wal-Marts since seeing hers, but haven't found them yet. I have screens (not Skreenz) in the front windows and rear hatch opening and it would be nice to have fans as small as hers clipped to the screens. Want to do the rear handle mod at some point so I can pull the hatch shut when it gets too cool.............although with the Ecamper, I guess I won't be sleeping below anymore. Maybe Aladdin will. :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
oh my... those shots are breathtaking! ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Exc pics, thanks so much! I lived out there (CO & NM) for about 5 years lo these many years ago, and your pics bring back many memories. Makes me wanna pack up and........ :-(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts