Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of doing a couple of DIY accessories; Mainly a sunroof screen, and privacy curtains. What my thought was to just use a screen, Or cloth in case of the privacy Curtains, and sew magnets in to them. Only problem is.....

How strong of magnets?

Has anyone tried the magnet strips? other wise i was just going to spend the money and buy a bulk of Rare Earth Magenets.

Any ideas? :idea: :?: :idea:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe the newest and strongest type of magnets are neodimium? they are being used in speakers now , and are a small fraction of the size of conventional magnets! I use them to hold pictures on my tool box at work and a magnet thats smaller than (around 2/3 ) the size of a dime takes some major effort for its size to remove! Only thing is where to find!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you put in a search for "Rare Earth Magenets" in ebay you get tons of response. A bunch of people are selling smaller ones (like dime size) in lots of 20 for like 20.00ish

Just have to convince the girlfriend that we need to do this soon....

But i'll keep you all posted once i try it out.

and yeah.....I am not a big Velco fan, it never really sticks right 1/2 the time, and impossable to match interiors.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would like to hear how this magnet idea works for someone.

I have planned to make the privacy curtain and just use shower hooks to the existing hooks. I will just use a sunscreen for the windshield.

But if magnets work... maybe I will give up the shower hook idea.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sorry about the delay in responding. ;) Magnets work fine for internal screens, I've found. We cut one for each window, and the only place I can't find magnetic mount-points are the rear side windows - so we used suction-cups there.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Magnets that you can get at the hardware store or office supply work fine. For window screens 1/2" circular ones are strong enough. I have some 1" long rectangular ones that I use on the roof when experimenting with tarps, etc.

paulj

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Here a door window screen setup. I have not tested this in a buggy environment yet. The back screen in a 2 person tropical style mosquito 'bar'. Here it is held in place with 4 rectangular magents on the roof and tailgate, with the bottom edge gathered and tied up for a snug fit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts