Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of the E owners out there would be interested in a magnetic engine oil drain plug?

The drain plug will have a neodynium magnet and will come with a washer as well. The plug will help keep metallic comtaminants from circulating in the engine.

Thanks

·
Registered
504 Posts
To me it would make more sense to have a magnet that attaches to the side of the filter. When changing the filter, one would merely reattach the magnet to the new filter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having a magnet on the filter will also help but you will want to catch contaminants before they reach the oi pump. Excessive dirt can cause accelerated wear on oil pumps and oil pressure can drop or be lost if teh pump fails. having a magnet on the drain plug will also help as contaminants will sink to the lowest point of the pan when the car is not running

·
Registered
53 Posts
I said this awhile back but it bears repeating. If I find metal in my oil the engine is coming apart. I don't think the magnet will pickup bits of metal that the bearings are made of, but if it does there's a good chance that the engine will already be letting me know it has a problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote:d925993ebb="dougola"]I said this awhile back but it bears repeating. If I find metal in my oil the engine is coming apart. I don't think the magnet will pickup bits of metal that the bearings are made of, but if it does there's a good chance that the engine will already be letting me know it has a problem.[/quote:d925993ebb]

The bearings should not even touch the crank when the crank is turning. There is always a film of oil between the crank and the bearings. Usualy the metallic particles will get suspended in the engine oil, thus the function of the detergents in the oil. As the oil gets darker, more and more particles are suspended in the oil not allowing light through it and causing the oil to be dark visually.

I have magnetic drain plugs in all of my engines and most of them are usually clean and it does sometimes catch metal but from where I don't know. The magnetic drain plug will not prevent engine failure but in engines every little bit counts.

Just my 2 cents :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, I was just looking at a Civic in our dealership getting a service done, and the tech pulled the transmissions drainplug which is magnetic and i was like "Yo, Peter, I think this cars got a bad transmission", the drainplug was completely covered in shavings, it's like running a magnet through sand with all the particle it picks up. He tells me "Naw, theyre all like that, thats just the way Hondas are". Personally I would have insisted if it was my car that AHM replace the transmission with the amount of shavings i saw on the drainplug, but if it's normal, it's normal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ming said:
I was wondering if any of the E owners out there would be interested in a magnetic engine oil drain plug?

The drain plug will have a neodynium magnet and will come with a washer as well. The plug will help keep metallic comtaminants from circulating in the engine.

Thanks
I you can still supply a magnetic drain plug, I would be interested in:) :) purchasing one[email protected]

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
In our Honda Engines, there are only a few parts that are made from Ferrous metal. The largest parts of the engine are made from non ferrous alloys. I would think that in an Engine with a cast Iron block that would be helpful.
Like stated in another post. By the time you see filings on the oil drain plug, You know there is something " BAD Wrong " with the engine.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Good info, Dom. Still, a magnetic plug could provide important diagnostic data cheaply in the event that one of the few ferrous parts does shed.

I got two magnetic plugs (also fits manual tranny) from C.G. Enterprises here, part 1085M. Costs US$3.45 each and takes a 14mm "gasket" (crush washer), part 2402, US$0.19 each.

Note that these have a regular magnet, not the strong rare-earth type.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Good info, Dom. Still, a magnetic plug could provide important diagnostic data cheaply in the event that one of the few ferrous parts does shed.

I got two magnetic plugs (also fits manual tranny) from C.G. Enterprises here, part 1085M. Costs US$3.45 each and takes a 14mm "gasket" (crush washer), part 2402, US$0.19 each.

Note that these have a regular magnet, not the strong rare-earth type.
Is this really the only magnetic oil drain plug thread? Hey Dan, why not the rare-earth?

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I couldn't find a plug with a rare-earth magnet. But that was in 2006; now, who knows?
The site you posted 'back in the day' had a rare earth one right next to the one you got. Maybe they added it since.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts