Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, but i've been scouring the site for a while now and have truly enjoyed your mods, comments, recommendations, etc. So thank you!

Figured i'd post this simple mod as I haven't seen it done anywhere and it's worked great for me. I love the iphone, but hate cases, dash mounts, window mounts, etc. I wanted something secure but simple without changing the appearance of our Element (Bismuth). So i purchased 4 thin Neodymium magnets from K&J Magnets - DX003. As you'll see in the pictures below they're thin, but extremely strong. Magnet to magnet the pull force is 55 lbs and relatively inexpensive at $2.68 each.

photo 4.jpg

I removed the plastic radio dash cover and using 3M molding tape fixed a magnet to each side as shown.

photo 3.jpg

photo 2.jpg

Then reset the plastic cover to the dash. The magnet is thin enough that it allows the plastic/metal clips to fully seat and secure the cover to the dash as before. And therefore there is no visual disturbance to the interior.

From here's it personal preference - But I applied a single remaining magnet directly to the back of my iphone again using the 3M tape. Those of you with cases or other clever designs could fully hide the magnet for a seamless finish but again, I hate cases and would rather use the phone naked with a slight bulge.

photo 31.jpg

Instead of using pictures which don't do the mod justice, I've uploaded a quick video (10 seconds long) showing the mount in action. It's difficult to describe or show how awesome the magnets are, but you can just hold the phone up to the plastic and the magnets will pull the phone immediately into place. The phone doesn't jiggle, vibrate or move at all while on the mount. I can plug in the charger, the headphone jack, and attach/detach it with ease. The magnets don't cause any interference to the radio or to the phone's antenna. I use Navigon, Pandora, and the general call features without any trouble.

Not sure if links are allowed but i'll try. If not search Magnetic Iphone Suspension Mount in Youtube.

VIDEO Link

Let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
661 Posts
magnet

Any chance the magnets could cause any damage or loss of data to your phone?:?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
magnets and flash

My understanding is magnets won't interfere with flash based memory. Can anyone confirm?

Otherwise, the ipad's covers would probably cause some issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
more pics

Also, noticed the video isn't getting much love. So he's another pic showing the phone rotates for landscape view. Video is like 10 secs with no narration.

photo 11.jpg

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Not having an I-Phone I had No Idea. So I went to Apple site to get your answer.

Click Here !

Dom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
magnetic interference

From my research, there is no potential damage from a memory standpoint.

However, upon turning on the compass app the phone asks it to re-calibrate each time. So, i'm assuming it has some interference on that end.

Please proceed at your own risk :) My phone is far outside of its warranty so i'm not concerned...

Thanks Dom for your research

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I really like the mod, especially the fact that the magnets on the dash are hidden when not in use. I guess I'll have to look into the magnet vs. iphone issue some more but that sure would be convenient not just for the phone but also for using it as an ipod when connecting to the stereo.

·
Registered
77 Posts
an ipod would definitely be a no-no in this situation. well, depending on which one i guess. but many ipods actually have a spinning hard drive, and these magnets would royally mess with that type of storage.

i REALLY like the way this mod turned out though. very nice idea.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
an ipod would definitely be a no-no in this situation. well, depending on which one i guess. but many ipods actually have a spinning hard drive, and these magnets would royally mess with that type of storage.

i REALLY like the way this mod turned out though. very nice idea.
I've never actually owned an iPod but what I meant was the "Music" app on the iPhone, which I presumed is basically the same thing built into the phone. I really do like this mod, so hoping to locate some more definitive word on what types of magnets, if any, are okay on a phone. What I've briefly read so far at the above link was a lot of "bad idea" but without anything to back it up other than opinion. I doubt doubt they may be right but I like to substantiate things with fact and/or official statements from Apple etc. before dismissing what is otherwise a great idea.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Be interesting to see if this could be done safely with a droid phone as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Beware of erasing credit cards and other cards with mag strips on them. The data is written multiple times per strip, but a magnet of that strength could wipe out a lot.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I saw a mythbusters episode about that, and it takes a SERIOUSLY powerful magnet to actually damage the strip on a credit card. Myth was totally busted.

That said, these small neodymium magnets are far stronger than the magnets used for closure flaps on phone & Ipad cases. Just because there hasnt been any "found" proof that magnets can damage your phone, keep in mind the forums you have been reading were regarding tiny & much weaker magnets.
My last Droid had a car dock that used a magnet to activate "car mode" and that magnet was soo weak nothing would stick to it, so the phone must have only needed to sense a magnetic field present.
Yes the newer phones & such use flash memory, but magnetism can disrupt electrical circuits, systems, and wireless reception just as easily. There is a reason home speakers are still magnetically shielded, so keep that in mind.

Otherwise a very clever phone mount, just hope its not problematic in the long run.
Id advise you put something soft on the magnet connected to the phone, like a piece of tape or felt, otherwise you will eventually destroy the finish on that dash trim panel.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have these:

From http://www.handa-accessories.com/elementint.html

use them on my android phone. no problem. I don't have it mounted hidden. It's just to the right of my shifter. FWIW, it's an HTC Evo 4g.

Magnetic Cell Phone Holder
Includes 1 1/4" diameter magnetic base and two 1" diameter thin metal plates to attach to back of cell phone, two are included so you have one for a spare battery if needed. All parts attach with quality 3M adhesive. Note: won't attach securely to dash parts that have been treated with any type of protectant.
Wondering how strong the magnet is? Click Here for a quick video clip of the magnet pulling one of the metal plates from next to it.
-View Delivery Time & Cost Availability:

Retail $9.95
Discount Price: $4.95
Sale: $1.45

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I like it, very clean. How does it hold over speed bumps and pot holes? How about with a power cord dangling.

My only experience with putting magnets near phones is with a Samsung Moment, Android. When a powerful magnet was placed near it the screen would fade to black, like an instant power drain. Removing the magnet, the power would come back, screen on, back to where you just were, no reboots. Weird if you ask me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stability & other concerns

The phone doesn't slip at all. It's solidly seated on the dash with both cords attached.

I have no issues on the phone with the magnet applied directly to the back. Yes the compass app requires a re-calibration each time it opens. But i don't ever use the compass.

The GPS, Navigon, and all other telecommunication functionality remain 100% functional. No impact to the reception bars either. If you were concerned, one could easily apply the magnet to the back of a case instead of directly to the phone? Also, possibly use some form of a steel case or rear plate to further shield the phone. If i have any issues i'll definitely post them, I installed the same magnet directly to my girlfriend's phone without any issue as I have double mounts on each side of the dash.

I'm sure someone with a design/engineering background could create something really amazing and make a killing on Kickstarter -

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice idea and great implementation. I took a simpler route because I never remove the mount. I used a cheaper stick on ball mount that works splendidly and allows me to swap in my iphone mount or Garmin GPS mount.

I also find that mounting the iPhone vertically as opposed to horizontaly, and on the right side of the radio works best. In that location it doesn't block access to any radio controls. It also allows access to the iPhone to the passenger for changing the music. I really love Rhapsody for those long trips when you want to play name that tune, or search for new music. It's also closer to the 12V accessory plug if you don't plan to hardwire power.

The mount was actually $5 shipped (from China) and had a 3M adhesive that keeps it on without fail.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Love this mod. Esp for navigation. Also I love my Belkin Bluetooth player.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I saw a mythbusters episode about that, and it takes a SERIOUSLY powerful magnet to actually damage the strip on a credit card. Myth was totally busted.
That said, these small neodymium magnets are far stronger than the magnets used for closure flaps on phone & Ipad cases. Just because there hasnt been any "found" proof that magnets can damage your phone, keep in mind the forums you have been reading were regarding tiny & much weaker magnets.
And there's a Mythbuster episode "totally busted". Those small neodymium magnets are more than powerful enough to wipe a credit card if it gets close enough (about half an inch). It's not how big the field is but how strong it is. Those tiny magnets can wipe just about any magnetic media I know of if they get close enough.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts