Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for cleaning/renewing the color of the bumper garnish? I used a Sharpie to mark the rear bumper for backup sensor installation. The pen marks could only be removed with Goof Off, but this left a slightly whitened stain. Doesn't look too bad unless you know where to look, but I'd like to clean it up, if possible.

Any info will be gratefully appreciated.

PS: the sensor install went very well as I got considerable help from this forum. Thanks to all for that, too.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,942 Posts
Any recommendations for cleaning/renewing the color of the bumper garnish? I used a Sharpie to mark the rear bumper for backup sensor installation. The pen marks could only be removed with Goof Off, but this left a slightly whitened stain. Doesn't look too bad unless you know where to look, but I'd like to clean it up, if possible.

Any info will be gratefully appreciated.

PS: the sensor install went very well as I got considerable help from this forum. Thanks to all for that, too.
The rule of thumb for cleaning anything with a new material is to test an inconspicuous area first. The best cleaner-solvents I've found for Sharpies are isopropyl alcohol as soon as possible, followed by Go-Jo hand cleaner. Blot on, don't rub the alcohol. Rubbing it will spread the stain.

In your case, I'd try Go-Jo first, washing it off after 15-20 minutes, white paste-type auto polish second, and if needed, turp-type paint thinner, which might remove a tiny amount of the surface of the plastic. Then I'd wash it thoroughly and treat the bumper with 303.

I've used the turp-type thinner sparingly to prep my cladding for installing emblems, and while it seemed to leave the surface slightly tacky to the touch, after it dried it hadn't changed the color or texture of the panels. If you are hesitant to use the solvents direct, you can make a suspension in water by mixing them 1:1 with water and adding a small amount of Joy as a surfactant.

In the future try putting masking tape on the surface you wish to mount upon, and mark the tape, not the body. A ball-point pen or genuine #2 wood body pencil will write on masking tape.

Post your pictures!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alcohol Based Cleaner Works

Thanks for the info. I, of course, knew about testing, masking tape and whatnot, but the situation made it difficult to do things the optimum way. However, you mention of cleaning with alcohol led me to use a 60% alcohol based solution of hand cleaner, which fixed the whitish stain as well as some Sharpie marks I'd overlooked.

Also, I wish I had pix to attach illustrating the backup sensor install, but, alas, I was so involved and pressed for time, I didn't take any. Wish I had.

Again, my gratitude for you help.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
^^Yep! great product to use on the panels/trim. That's all I use it for,although I prefer the paste version.:cool:

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I have the paste as well as every other version and product in the family. :D

I even use the paste stuff on the interior. Works great. Just don't use it around the speaker grill. Hehehe. DOHHHH!!!:lol:

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I have the paste as well as every other version and product in the family. :D

I even use the paste stuff on the interior. Works great. Just don't use it around the speaker grill. Hehehe. DOHHHH!!!:lol:

I've never used it on the interior plastic,maybe I'll give it a try.:) Although I have used the ICE Total interior care before,but I wasn't really happy with the look.:confused:

·
Registered
8,046 Posts

I've never used it on the interior plastic,maybe I'll give it a try.:) Although I have used the ICE Total interior care before,but I wasn't really happy with the look.:confused:
I have that stuff too. Like I said, I have them all. :D

I wasn't too thrilled about how things turned out with it either. So back to the paste stuff I went.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,942 Posts
B2B and Ice are cover-ups, not ink stain removers. This isn't the right application for them, they don't solve the OP's problem.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
B2B and Ice are cover-ups, not ink stain removers. This isn't the right application for them, they don't solve the OP's problem.
Well it seems that the OP had solved the problem. :confused:Those products were only being suggested to help rejuvinate/maintain the plastic panels.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts