Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Maintenance Required" indicator (or: why it pays to read your owner's manual)

Just hit 10,000 Miles on the E and the light comes on automatically! Does anyone know how to clear this light.I really don't have time to take it to the dealer every 10K to get this Maint. Req. signal cleared... Somebody.. Please. help THIS MEANS YOU TURTLE! J/K

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the Maint Req'd light blinks after I start my car - I have like 8500 miles - I had the oil changed at 3000- is something wrong?

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
277 Posts
The maintenance light came on because the first suggested interval for your oil change is at 10K miles. It come on at about 8500 miles. You can reset it using the instructions in you Owners Manual. It will come on again in another 10K.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My dealer also told me that the light comes on for your car check ups....I haven't read the manual cover to cover yet....so I am not sure if that is accurate?!?!

·
Registered
104 Posts
It comes on at 8500 and blinks for a few seconds, then stops. It is a reminder that you're approaching 10K and need your first oil change. Once you hit 10k, it won't flash, it will stay on. After the first 10K oil change, you're supposed to change it every 5K. As you approach 20K, or rather when Honda's computers think you're approaching 20K, you'll get a flier in the mail to remind you of both the 20K oil change and the 20K service check-up, which is NOT free. I've not priced it, but my guess is that it'll cost about $300 to "check" belts, hoses, etc, etc, etc. I've no idea if the light continues to come on at other intervals as I'm just approaching the 20K mark and haven't seen a recurrence of the light.

Go into the light. It's warm in the light. No wait, stay away from the light, don't look into the light. The light is bad. Poor kid.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is from the HONDA ELEMENT SERVICE MANUAL ($70, ouch!):

Press and hold the Trip/Reset button; turn the ignition switch ON (# 2 position), and continue to hold the button for more than ten seconds.

Toodles, tblask beepbeep

·
Registered
2 Posts
The maintenance required light is flashing for awhile after starting every time. I have not found anything in the owners manual or online that would tell me what maintenance is required at 8000 miles. From what I have read, others have had it come on at 10000 miles. Any ideas before I see the dealer. I had the oil changed at 5000 miles.
Peter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why does my maintenance required indicator flash after starting? It started after passing 8000 miles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I called my dealer when it happened and they said it was an automatic reminder which will happen around every 8000 miles. They said they would do an oil change, rotate the tires and flush the fuel system for $116.00. I passed. I will have my mechanic do the oil change. Tire rotation is usually free and I didn't feel the fuel system had to be flushed. SSM EX.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ewatson is right it is a reminder light for your routine maintenance, as scheduled in your owners manual for 10k miles, it starts flashing at ~8k, eventually it stays on around 10k until you or service person resets it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
When i hit 10K < i'm at 6K > i will take advantage of the maintenance for my E. The only thing i will not let the dealer do is rotate the tires because i'm afraid they might gouge my rims and the "H" logo :cry:

I don't think their is any harm not rotating my tires since the factory ones aren't very good. I want to replace them sooner than later. Whatcha guys think :wink:

·
Registered
220 Posts
In order to reset your maintenance light, here is what you do:

1)Push the trip odometer button in (located on the dash display area)

2)Hold this button in and turn on the ignition while continuing to hold down the trip odometer reset.

3)Keep holding down the trip reset button until the maintenance required light goes off.

If this doesn't work, let me know.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Mike-

I know you are in sales, but could you check with your service manager to find out exactly what is done during the first service check-up?

I would greatly appreciate it, and I think it would help clarify what the actual protocol is for this check-up that many of us are nearing!

Thanks a Bunch!

1 - 20 of 333 Posts