Honda Element Owners Club banner

221 - 240 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Honda Tech,

Absolutely genius!! You were right on the money! Followed your instructions and the maintenance light reset without a problem.

FYI - I took the vehicle to two different Honda dealers and neither could figure out the problem. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Please send me a private message with your PayPal info.

Thanks again.

Jody

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
My light has made me nuts for 7,000 miles. I then took Hownowbrowncows (you know who I mean) suggestion and read the owners manual. Ten seconds and it was off, I was not holding down the button when turning the key to position II. I can finally get a good night's sleep.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
each time I took my 03 into a dealer in Chicago for an oil change, they didnt reset the light (took it to three different dealers each time because if they cant get that right, then what are they going to do if something is really wrong?)... I think the light was on for over 15000 miles :rolleyes:

and yeah, I could have reset it (read many threads about it), but figured I'd use it as a dealer competency guage instead :wink:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello All!

Firstly, thank you all very much for responding to my post - I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Hey spdrcr5 - if Honda Tech's fix didn't work I would have followed your advice with respect to the electrical tape. I was seriously at a loss for what to do next... electrical tape was looking like a great option.

Honda Tech - Thank you again for answering my post. As I mentioned above... I tried absolutely everything. I was literally going to buy a new instrument cluster (dealer recommended fix for this problem believe it or not) if I could not figure out how to fix the permanently illuminated maintenance required light. You are a savior and you saved me a significant amount of time and money! I truly appreciate your help. Your suggestion about the food bank donation was noted. This week I will absolutely make a donation to the local food bank while I do my grocery shopping at Safeway.

My first experience with the EOC has been exceptional. I will definitely be sticking around. I love the site, the forums, and based on my experiences to date the people are fantastic.

Thanks again, all.

Sincerely,

Jody

·
Registered
276 Posts
Probably a good idea to tell the dealers you visited how to fix the problem. There might be other owners with the same problem who will actually replace their instrument cluster, and still have the problem.

Maybe you can swing a coupon for a free oil change or two.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
My dealer had to hold the button down for about a minute and the light finally went out. This was the 30K maint required light. Took a while, more than the 10 - 15 seconds that it usually took.

·
Registered
30 Posts
maint' reqd

hi guys,

what does this light say? it keeps blinking everytime i start the car... what do i need to do?
i don't live in the USA so i have to do everything myself, don't want to bring it to the local honda dealer, the people there don't even know that the E is a honda :confused:

thanks
:razz:

·
Registered
36 Posts
speaking of owners manual. is it possible to find this manual in pdf form? or perhaps someone can scan it... i find it outrageous in this day and age that car manufacturers try to make money on manuals and such...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Soon it will stay on all the time. I believe it just means it has been 10000 miles since it was last reset. There are instructions in the manual on how to reset it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Maint. Req'd Light flashing for 10 seconds when turn key

Hi,

I just noticed that the Maintenance Rec'd light is flashing for about 10 seconds or so when I start the car (well, turn the key, I think) then goes out. I recently had it in for its second Mobil-1 oil change (about a month ago), but I only just started noticing the light flashing a couple days ago (doesn't mean it wasn't before, I guess).

I looked in the manual and it says that if your car is between 8K and 10K (something like that) and you haven't had the scheduled maintenance, the light will flash in this manner for 10 seconds or so. It says that if you're over 10K, it will remain on if you haven't had the schedule maintenance. I'm at 13.5K mile.

I've had two oil changes over the life of the car so far, so I'm wondering if perhaps the Service Dept. at Honda didn't reset the thing? The manual says that if you have your service done elsewhere, then it might not get reset. But I had it all done at the Honda Dealership where I bought the car.

Also, if it's a case of it not being reset, then wouldn't it be staying on all the time instead of just flashing for 10 seconds since I'm over 10K miles?

So I'm wondering if I should just reset the light as instructed in the manual, or could it mean that something is actually wrong with the car?

The Service Dept. is probably closed until Tuesday (though maybe they're open Monday), so I'll call then and ask -- but I wanted to see what you all thought in the meantime, so perhaps eliminate my concern if there's nothing to be worried about (or prepare is there is something).

Please let me know what you think -- thanks!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
My buddy the Honda Service Manager told me the Maintenance Required light is a "timer" based on miles, doesn't monitor anything (if someone knows differently speak up). Soon it will stay on constantly and make you nuts.

Follow the instructions in your owner's manual closely and you will be successful in resetting. Do it like me and don't follow them exactly and your light will be for months; reading is a skill :???:

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
It sounds like they reset the light at your first oil change at about 5000 miles, then did not reset the light after your last oil change. So it has been 8000 miles since the light was reset, therefore it flashes for 10 seconds at start up.:)

If I were you, I'd take it back to the dealer and show them, that way they will remember to reset the light at ever oil change. I went through three oil changes at three different dealers before I found one that reset the light. I used it as a dealer stupidity measure-- if they dont get that right, what else are they going to miss in the future? I could easily have done it myself, but I just wanted to see if they knew what they were doing... :cool:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Required Maintenance Light

So I recently got 30k service on my 05 'E' and 3 days later the "Req'D Maint" warning light came on. I took it to Autozone to have it diagnosed and the worker said it probably just needed an oil change or spark plug changes. When she said that I realized she had no clue!

Any tips or tricks on how to shut off the light or suggestions on what I should do? Thank you.

-Brad

Nevermind, I reset it! SORRY!!!!!!!!!

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
2005 Owner's Manual, page 57:

Your dealer will reset this indicator after completing the scheduled maintenance. If this maintenance is not done by your dealer, reset the indicator as follows.

1. Turn off the engine.

2. Press and hold the Select/Reset button on the instrument panel, then turn the ignition switch to ON (II).

3. Hold the button for about 10 seconds until the indicator goes off.
The mechanic should have done this when you had the 30K service. It should not have come on again by itself until you started to close in on 40K.

221 - 240 of 333 Posts
About this Discussion
332 Replies
204 Participants
ramblerdan
Honda Element Owners Club
Element Owners Club is your go to forum community to discuss your Honda Element, and get ideas from your next great trip to your next Honda Element Mod.
Full Forum Listing