Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I recently got around to installing a new stereo in the E. When I bought the car it didn't have a stereo on account of the previous owner removing his old unit but I didn't much care because it was so cheap.

I went with the Kenwood eXcelon X792 for the HU and CDT S60a components w/ the TW-25 tweeter. In a previous car I had a set of the S61s and they were heaven so I stuck with the inexpensive Classics series once again. They're better than many components twice their price. Be advised that the mids DO NOT FIT the doors and I had to trim about .25" of material around the hole and remove the protective cups. They'll be replaced by some XTC or Boommat covers. The Xovers are also quite large and require creative placement. I placed one behind the driver's side lower left panel (lots of room under the hood release handle) and the other above the drop down panel below the glove box. Both are easily accessed for upgrades or system removal.

In my haste to install the setup before a big trip I simply "bracketed" the tweeter behind the A-pillar, suspended behind the tweeter pocket.

As most of you know, the tweeter grill isn't actually as big as it looks. Only a small amount of those "grill" holes are perforated to let the sound through.

The CDT TW-25 tweeters are 1" silk domes and I definitely want them to have all the space to play out as possible. So instead of drilling out all those little holes I made due with what the CDT components came with. The tweeters have several mounting solutions and the one I chose were the flush mount cups. They have always had the cleanest look when installed and allow for easy tweeter removal if the need arises.

So I marked it up:

I then Removed the material with a Dremel tool and a Rotary-Zip blade. No need to worry about how ugly the cut will turn out. The CDT cups will cover everything up nice and neat like:

and installed the cups, securing them with hot glue (God's adhesive for weird places):

and voila! A very clean, classy install of the CDT TW-25 tweeter. The cup's outer edge is exactly the same size as the OEM tweeter pods start of the grill so it blends extremely well. Now I just need to recover my pillars in black fabric and paint all the tweeter parts black. CDT makes everything so that it disassembles easily which will make painting it that much easier.

I reused the original connector to make A-pillar removal a snap (well, not once those one-time-use clips are replaced, lol) The tweets look as though CDT made the cups for the Element tweeter pods. Thanks CDT!

·
Registered
572 Posts
very nice.

off topic.. my MBQuarts fit into the stock location. i wasnt' able to secure them, so i used heavy duty masking tape. they're supper light, so no hardware needed. couple layers of tape. done deal.

nice install. i just prefer mine to appear stock.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanted the same thing but the TW-25 tweeters are too damn big. I could tell an obvious difference in sound once I switched the install.

Before that I had used a short piece of plumbers tape/pipe strapping (the metal tape with holes in it) and secured the tweeter to it with the screw that held the adapters on the back of the magnet. Worked really well and kind of floated the tweeter behind the stock grill.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Nice! Excellent choice going with those CDT's they are great speakers.I'm going with CDT's whenever I get around to doing my install.8)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the price for performance of the CDT CL-s60a comps is probably one of the best and since I don't usually have lots of money or time to try new components I stuck with what I know. They were only $100 + shipping!

During the holidays Woofersetc.com had this cheaper set shipping with the larger, better 1" silk dome TW-25 tweeter when normally it was the smaller 3/4" tweeter. I think you can still find the CL-s60a/TW-25 combo on ebay.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
^^Nice! So how do you like them? :? Oh and I'll probably purchase CDT's for my E' from there too,since they're usually running great deals on CDT speakers.8)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a fantastic sounding set of components at a low price. I love how transparent they sound and the silk dome tweeters are never harsh. I use my "Sheffield/Autosound 2000 Test Disc" to run my audio stuff through it's paces and with the music tracks that are on there they sound excellent. I never get a bit of ear fatigue even at high volume (about a Kenwood 25) for about an hour's worth of listening. The OEM sub isn't very "tight" sounding but adds some deeper bass to the mix. Overall I love them, I was going to try some Kenwood eXcelon components, to try having a brand-matching system, but I decided to stick with what I know and whenever someone rides with me I can introduce them to the CDT brand.

Later one down the road I'll add some more bass and disable the stock sub. I've got a spare Resonant Engineering RE8 that I'd like to put in a vented box tuned for EQ or maybe get another and have two sealed boxes mounted under each rear seat.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a fantastic sounding set of components at a low price. I love how transparent they sound and the silk dome tweeters are never harsh. I use my "Sheffield/Autosound 2000 Test Disc" to run my audio stuff through it's paces and with the music tracks that are on there they sound excellent. I never get a bit of ear fatigue even at high volume (about a Kenwood 25) for about an hour's worth of listening. The OEM sub isn't very "tight" sounding but adds some deeper bass to the mix. Overall I love them, I was going to try some Kenwood eXcelon components, to try having a brand-matching system, but I decided to stick with what I know and whenever someone rides with me I can introduce them to the CDT brand.

Later one down the road I'll add some more bass and disable the stock sub. I've got a spare Resonant Engineering RE8 that I'd like to put in a vented box tuned for EQ or maybe get another and have two sealed boxes mounted under each rear seat.
Very cool.8) I have that same disc and a few other Sheffield labs discs and they are all great at putting a sound system through it's paces. Sounds like you're quite happy with your purchase/install.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts