Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to do a lot of camping. I am still on the fence as to whether a cabana is for me. I am, however, interested in making some bug-proof screens for both front windows and maybe even the side windows so that I can leave them open for good ventilation. Does anyone have any ideas for making these? What about for the open rear door?

· Registered
1,118 Posts
Check the tread, cabana blues. There is a link to campmore where the have a better option than the cabana. As for bug screens, get some nylon screen door material and build a frame out of plastic molding. (hardware store, should have something that would work) Then attach "earth magnets" wrapped with cloth and secure to the outer side of the window :idea:

· Registered
1,118 Posts
An earth magnet is sold at Lee Vally. they are super stronge tiny magnets. I used them to secure a tent I built for my dodge dakota. They need to be wrapped so they don't hurt the finish. As for something simpler, I agree. I have been trying to dream up a simple design using tarps or canvas. ( I still have the skin from my dodge tent.) If I come up with one I will post it, Let me know if you have any ideas. :twisted:

· Registered
64 Posts
Would use the fiberglass screen from any home store and magnet strips,
1/4X length desired, hot glued to screen. These strips are the same as in any refrig door. (next time you see one being thrown out, cut open the
cold seal and collect the magnet strips.)

· Registered
16 Posts
They are not "earth magnets", they are "rare earth magnets". This describes the materials of which they are made. The elements are grouped into families with similar properties. These families have names. For example, the family containing helium, neon, argon, krypton, xenon, and radon is called the Noble Gasses. One of these families is the Rare Earths, which are group 3 on the periodic table. The rare earth elements most commonly used to make magnets are neodymium and samarium.

Common magnets are ferrites bound in either ceramic (rigid magnets) or rubber (flexible magnets). Rare earth magnets are much stronger for a given size/mass but also much more expensive (the 'rare' in the name is there for a reason - these elements are rare on the earth and therefore more costly than much more common things like iron ferrites).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.