Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have an 04 Honda Element LX 2WD MT (93,000 miles). About 4 times now, the stick will not go into gear. The fluid is fine and if I turn the car off, pump the pedal, put it into gear with the car off... it works eventually.

Any thoughts? I've heard air in the line, need new master cylndr, and the dreaded "need new clutch" (from dealer, whom I do not trust so much as they have done shoddy work in the past) to the tune of $1400...

Help! I am not mechanically inclined, so am looking for advise before being ripped off.

Much appreciated. Just trying to get honest opinion/figure$

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
It's the hydraulic linkage, not the clutch itself. If the fluid doesn't seem to be disappearing then it is most likely the master cylinder. These can be either replaced in total or rebuilt with a kit. Be sure to "bench bleed" the master cylinder before installing it.

Take it to an independent auto repair shop that works on Hondas.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Before replacing anything here is what I would do:

- Check fluid level (if low, look for leaks)
- Bleed the clutch and watch for air bubbles coming out
- Check pedal height and free-play and adjust if necessary

·
Registered
536 Posts
Thanks so much... $1400 can keep you up at night nowadays!
I could buy alot of clutch stuff for 1400 clams! I don't blame you for being suprised. It can only be a few things (as others have kindly pointed out)that will prevent the clutch from operating as advertised. Hope it does not cost you too much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts